Such as one from the 7th August 2014, with Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter talking to Sony’s Michael Lynton, in an e-mail titled “Female Heroes”. We don’t know the conversation on the phone, but the e-mail gives us some indication of how Perlmutter was thinking.
As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.
1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm
2. Catwoman (WB/DC) – Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm
3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.
Of course, we did get the greenlight for Captain Marvel over at Marvel Studios, but this does reveal very strong fears about, say, a Spider-Woman or Spider-Girl movie.
One important fact about these Wikileaks, we often get incomplete conversations. Worth bearing in mind.
Though Drew Goddard‘s e-mails were far more positive. Writing to Amy Pascal at Sony on 20th March 2014, he says,
I’m stuck in Marvel/Daredevil chaos. Will call you first thing tomorrow. But I’m obsessed with this idea! Do you know the Night Witches? Real-life female bomber squadron of WW2. I’ve long wanted to make a movie about them. Could be a good model for our all-female superhero team:
See more of our Sony leaks coverage, including Lisa Joy’s take on a female Spider-Man movie right here.
- Exclusive Funko POP of Lord Drakkon in Comic Stores in January - August 18, 2018
- Venom Finally Looks Like His Chest Symbol - August 18, 2018
- Marvel Finally Reveals What ‘T’Challa’ Actually Means - August 18, 2018
- You Can Find All Sorts of Things on Reddit in the Marvel Universe - August 18, 2018
- Is the Punisher Coming to London’s East End? - August 18, 2018