So far, Bleeding Cool has been able to identify sixty-four variant covers of the upcoming Star Wars #1, relaunch comic from Marvel, many of them exclusive to individual retailers who had to order 3000 of them, minimum (and 1500 of any black-and-white secondary version). I expect another from January’s Loot Crate.
But I have now been informed by a senior industry source that the variant covers in total number over a hundred – a record for the comic book industry. Possibly any magazine, even the famous Loaded #100 anniversary issue only went to a hundred covers. Are Marvel going for a Guinness World Record?
Some other sites have claimed to have found more, but they count remarked, signed and sketched covers. I don’t. I’m just looking at actually printed variants. And, I understand, there are even more than I thought.
And that’s how you sell a million copies!
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018
- First Peek at Wild’s End Original Graphic Novel by Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard - January 20, 2018
- 28-Page Preview of Super Suckers #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 20, 2018
- A Chat with Travis McIntire, Publisher of Source Point Press - January 20, 2018