So far, Bleeding Cool has been able to identify sixty-four variant covers of the upcoming Star Wars #1, relaunch comic from Marvel, many of them exclusive to individual retailers who had to order 3000 of them, minimum (and 1500 of any black-and-white secondary version). I expect another from January’s Loot Crate.
But I have now been informed by a senior industry source that the variant covers in total number over a hundred – a record for the comic book industry. Possibly any magazine, even the famous Loaded #100 anniversary issue only went to a hundred covers. Are Marvel going for a Guinness World Record?
Some other sites have claimed to have found more, but they count remarked, signed and sketched covers. I don’t. I’m just looking at actually printed variants. And, I understand, there are even more than I thought.
And that’s how you sell a million copies!
- George Pérez “Doing Great, Feeling Much Better” - April 30, 2017
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017