BOOM! Studios turns 10 yeas old in 2015 and the have a plan to celebrate all year long. The celebration involves a cover strategy where every launching title will include a 10 Years incentive variant cover. It gets a bit tricky here so let me see if I can explain it well. Boom has their main line and 3 imprints – KaBOOM!, Archaia and BOOM! Box. One artist will draw the variant covers for each line for one quarter, so 4 different artists per quarter totaling 16 artists in all.
For the first quarter of 2015 (January-March), the artists are:
- All launching BOOM! Studios titles: Trevor Hairsine (Captain America, Eternal Warrior)
- All launching KaBOOM! titles: Joe Quinones (Harley Quinn, Big Trouble in Little China)
- All launching Archaia titles: Ramón Pérez (Amazing Spider-Man, Jim Henson’s Tale of Sand)
- All launching BOOM! Box titles: Shelli Paroline & Braden Lamb (Adventure Time, The Midas Flesh)
Cover artists for the remaining quarters of 2015 will be announced at a later date.
In January, new launching titles to receive the “10 Years” Cover treatment include:
- Burning Fields #1 (BOOM! Studios)
- Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift #1 (KaBOOM!)
- Feathers #1 (Archaia)
- Munchkin #1 (BOOM! Box)
The cover images will be revealed closer to each title’s order deadline.
In addition, BOOM! will select one launching title each month and slip one, rare exclusive cover intermixed into every 100 copies of the main cover printed. Dubbed the Jackpot Variant, these special covers will show up randomly at any comic shop that orders at least one copy of the title. For January, that title is Munchkin #1, a new ongoing series from BOOM! Box based on the hit adventure card game. The Jackpot Variant cover for Munchkin #1 is illustrated by Evan Palmer (Cooking with Food).
Finally, should any of its new titles in 2015 launch with a final combined initial order of over 10,000 copies, BOOM! will unlock an additional 1-in-10 intermixed special variant that will ship with the main cover.
To help mark its 10th anniversary, BOOM! will include a new “10 Years” trade dress logo that will be featured on the covers of all its single-issue releases in 2015.