“Combat Cow is not a mutant. Because if he was a mutant there would be a war between a publishing company and a film company and we don’t want that.” – Chris Claremont.
Chris Claremont talked with Len Wein, Marc Bernardin and Heath Corson about his and Len’s history in comic books a few months ago at Phoenix Comic Con for the Nerdist Podcast. I just got round to listening to the audio (and you can as well, below).
Something unreported however until now, was when asked about creating new characters, Chris Claremont said,
“I have to say quite honestly as I understand it now the X department is forbidden to create new characters.
“Well… who owns them?
“All because all new characters become the film property of Fox.
“There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?”
Forty-two minutes in… but you should listen to the whole thing. Chris Claremont currently writes the X-Men comic book Nightcrawler, with a new issue out tomorrow.
We have reported this character-creating issue before now, but this is the first time I’ve heard an X-book creator confirm it publicly. We’ve also been told though that if you can create new characters under the guise of a Marvel Now style event, then they can be attributed to Marvel Now and not to an Xbook… so Marvel gets to keep the film rights.[audio:http://traffic.libsyn.com/nerdistwriters/ncp58_chris_claremont.mp3]
- We Are All Monsters – A Cadaver’s Confession - January 22, 2017
- Through The Eyes Of An Elephant-Man - January 22, 2017
- ‘Bout Time … Deadpool Meets Gwenpool - January 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 22nd January 2017 – “I Ordered Really Low On Monsters Unleashed But It Wasn’t Low Enough” - January 22, 2017
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017