When Amazing Spider-Man #1 launched with 700,000 preorders, I was briefed by industry insiders that Gamestop were responsible for a huge amount of these, and were urged to open a Diamond Comic Distributors account so that the numbers would show up on the Diamond monthly charts.
I was able to discover that, in fact,it was actually only 6,000 copies, not enough to change the dial. But it seems to have set a precedent.
Today, the online subscription store Loot Crate have been telling comic publishers that they have ordered a significant amount of the previously reported 300,000 orders for Rocket Raccoon #1.
CBR reported roughly 100,000 copies but I have direct sources that tell me that Loot Crate are claiming 150,000 orders to other comics publishers, rising to 180,000 as numbers come in. And that Loot Crate have a Diamond account to carry out the order, so that, yes, the numbers will show up on the monthly charts, though they will have received considerable discount for doing so.
Loot Crate run a rather fun businesses offering “crates” of themed products together for a significant discount, aimed at “geeks and gamers” who subscribe on a monthly basis, whatever comes in. And it appears that the next crate will contain a copy of Rocket Raccoon #1…
And they obviously sell quite a lot of them. And from conversations that seem to have taken place these past few days, look to see a lot more comic books turning up in these crates – and the comics in question getting quite the jump in numbers.
- A New Wolverine Comic From Marvel in April 2018… - January 19, 2018
- Martin Rowson to Adapt Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto as a Graphic Novel, and More from SelfMadeHero in 2018 - January 19, 2018
- All 3 Marvel Comics Nominated for GLAAD Awards Have Been Cancelled - January 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Signs Kelly Thompson as an Exclusive Creator - January 19, 2018
- Nancy Silberkleit Now Distributing Her Own Archie Comic, Featuring Scarlet, One Copy at a Time - January 19, 2018