Bleeding Cool understands that it has been announced, internally at Marvel, that senior editor Steve Wacker will be leaving the comics offices for California, to take a position with Marvel Animation.
Headhunted by Marvel from DC Comics, where he edited the 52 weekly series, Steve Wacker did a similar job with the Spider-Man titles, making a three-times-a-month comic spinning out of the Brand New Day relaunch, and eventually settling with the fortnightly Dan Slott run. Under his watch, the book became Superior Spider-Man and regularly takes two slots in the monthly top ten charts.
He also edits Daredevil, Captain Marvel, Punisher, Nova, Guardians of The Galaxy and Hawkeye – the first Marvel book to be placed on the Angouleme Official Selection for years.
But Steve Wacker is a born performer, he sings, he dances (and hey, we never did get to see his audition for Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, did we) and clearly wants things to… move.
Wacker has been a keen contributor in the Bleeding Cool message boards, much to the chagrin of many regulars, and I do hope he stays here when he goes West. Here’s a little sample of what they can expect.
And tomorrow, we find out how many DC folks will be following him.
- Buzz and Pat Broderick, the New Inker Ambassadors for the Inkwell Awards - January 16, 2018
- Old Man Hawkeye #1 and Venom #160 Go to Second Printings - January 16, 2018
- Neil Gaiman Announces Paperback of Norse Mythology for Tuesday, March 6th - January 16, 2018
- Finally – Frank Miller’s 300 Prequel, Xerxes, from Dark Horse Comics in April 2018 - January 16, 2018
- So… Why Is Marvel Not Cancelling Their Lowest-Selling Comics? - January 16, 2018