I partied hard with the Valiant crew last night. In that we went for dinner and drinks. But one thing led to another and I found myself at a certain Manhattan sports bar with all manner of comic folk in town for the New York Comic Con.
There’s lots about the show I could cover from London, but this was one of the moments that you just have to be there. I was joined at a bar by a DC comics creator of note who, not only told me that, yes, as Bleeding Cool reported, a DC Comics weekly title was spinning off from the Five Years Later event next September. But then, according to the notes I managed to take, told me so much more.
There is not just one weekly comic planned by DC Comics for 2014, but three. One a Super-book, one a Bat book (and yep, this also got announced) and one, a book exploring the near-future of the DC Universe set Five Years Later.
Five Years Later will spin out of the planned September event, which sees every book skip forward in time five years in their future, for that month only. I’m also told to expect it to be teased ahead of time by the Free Comic Book Day 2014 title.
Originally the weekly was designed to flesh out the past of the New 52 and join up some of the dots and fill in the gaps left by the DC Relaunch. But now it’s changed to a more future-only perspective to reflect the event. Also expect various Twilight Of The Superheros plug-ins as to muddy whether this is the actual future of the DC Universe, or a possible one that can be avoided.
Originally we reported that Greg Rucka was one of the creators, something he then denied. But I now understand he was originally on board but then chose to leave the project along with writer Brian Keene, also part of the original planned team.
Original writers Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen and Jeff Lemire were then joined by Brian Azzarello. No news on artists yet.
And, as the creator stabbed their finger on the bar, told me I could print that.
So I have.
I hope they don’t have as sore head in the morning as I have.
- Justice League Of America’s Queen Of Fables Story Gets an Extra Issue - January 18, 2018
- AfterShock Signs Zac Thompson and Lonnie Nadler for 3 Comics Series – Her Infernal Descent is the First - January 18, 2018
- Spider-Man Goes to Wakanda in New Marvel Kids Comic, Marvel Super Hero Adventures - January 18, 2018
- Will Doomsday Clock Bring Back the Legion and the Justice Society? And What’s With Shazam? - January 18, 2018
- Stan Lee Coming To St Louis, Cleveland… and the Philippines - January 18, 2018