Julian Simpson is a British TV writer. Episodes of Doctor Who such as Almost People and Rebel Flesh as well as episodes of Hustle, Spooks, Hotel Baylon, that kind of thing. And New Tricks. The show about cops pulled out of retirement to open up cold cases, that’s now in its ninth series/season on BBC. I even saw an episode on PBS when I was in the States, so it’s there as well.
And he appears to be a bit of a comic book fan.
Tonight’s episode, Part Of A Whole, written and directed by Simpson, had quite the cast of characters. Can you notice a common theme between the following names?
Simon Bisley, Greg Rucka, Dillon, Hitch, Ellis, Finch… here’s a clip.
“Simon Bisley was killed in a hit and run incident”… really weird to hear.
Writer Simpson tweeted;
Wow, people seem to have enjoyed
#newtricks tonight. I thought casting half of Twitter in it would help.
For those asking, Simon Bisley wasn’t a conscious reference but yes, it must have sprung from my head as the Slaine artist
There IS a British comic artist deliberately name-checked in this episode though..
Oh yeah, and
@ruckawriter got a name-check too
He also told Bleeding Cool;
Kerry Fox’s character was called Jane Ross… Wanted to do Hitch/Ross for AGP but character was a woman so went for Jane, after JR’s wife.
I’m sure Jane Goldman would be pleased as punch!
- Why 5 Kid Comics of California May Be Closing Down - October 20, 2018
- Gary Reed’s Final Comic, Savants, to See Print in 2019 - October 20, 2018
- In Depth Look at This Yu-Gi-Oh! Thing the Kids Go On About – Part Three - October 20, 2018
- Colleen Douglas and Chris Zero to Launch ‘God of Bad Men’ in January - October 20, 2018
- Neal Adams Expresses Concern For Rumoured Comics Royalty Changes - October 20, 2018