It was announced with a bang. A new comic book looking at the early days of Thanos, as seen on the end credits of The Avengers movie. Thanos Year One basically.
And now we get this news, set to retailers by Diamond Comic Distributors.
THANOS SON OF TITAN #1 (OF 5) & VAR (AUG120580-1, $2.99, FOC 09/24/12) has been cancelled.
No postponement, no “will be resolicited at a later date”, just pure out-and-out cancellation, as the Marvel Previews containing the solicitation only reached the store this week. That doesn’t smack of a late creative team, or lower than expected sales, it feels like something bigger.
Thanos’ creator Jim Starlin, though adamantly scotching any talk of starting a lawsuit against Marvel Comics (the only creator to win one of those of late was Stan Lee) has been making it clear that he created Thanos before coming to Marvel Comics. And has proclaimed his displeasure with Marvel over using his creations in movies and comics without financial recompense.
Could this be an issue? Or did writer Joe Keatinge take a dump on Isaac Perlmutter’s copy of the Wall Street Journal?
UPDATE: Joe Keatinge doesn’t reply to emails but Steve Wacker tweets;
For those interested, plans have indeed changed on Thanos. Nothing too dramatic, we just jumped the gun a bit. Joe Keatinge and Rich Elson both have projects coming up in the Spidey office that we’ll be announcing soon. They’re bloody great!
- More Changes For Justice League #23 And #24 Creative Teams With Tom DeFalco, Dan Abnett, Ian Churchill, Tom Derenick And Trevor Scott - May 24, 2017
- DC Comics To Let Retailers Sell Dark Days: The Forge And Other June 14th Comics From Midnight On The 13th… - May 24, 2017
- Amazon Glitchwatch: 73% Off 75th Anniversary Marvel Masterworks Slipcase Set On Amazon.co.uk - May 24, 2017
- Danger Dolls #0 Crossover Event And Toyetica #1, Launching From Action Lab And Danger Zone August 2017 Solicitations - May 24, 2017
- Black Mask Comics Solicitations For August 2017 Head To The Afterlife… - May 24, 2017