HuffWatch: The comic creator mixtape.
Becky Cloonan: I love metal. And since everybody is (or rather, should be) acquainted with Iron Maiden and Sabbath (RIP Dio) I’ll list some essential albums for people who are looking to get into ambient pagan semi-acoustic neo-folk music with eternally grim and frostbitten black metal roots! This is atmospheric, melodic black metal at its finest, and these are all albums I go to again and again.
My job (drawing comic books!) requires me to read scripts, layout pages, and occasionally write, so a lot of the time I’m listening to music that is more atmospheric. That and I’m not an angry mohawked teenager anymore, so it’s nice to find bands that embody qualities that I love about black metal, but aren’t afraid to whip out their acoustic guitars and bring it down from 11 to maybe five or six when the song calls for it.
BBCWatch: Moebius on BBC4.
EthanWatch: That Rob Granito sketch by Ethan Van Sciver we posted the other day? Now you can buy the original on eBay…
PromoWatch: Beano and Dandy promotional posters up for sale for thousands.
SignWatch: Brian K. Vaughan signs Saga #1 at Midtown Comics Downtown in Manhattan on Thursday from 6pm…
They say I am a work in progress. The fools.
Don Markstein, a longtime active fan, writer and editor and the creator of the Toonopedia web site, has died after a long illness. He was 64 years old.
How about the first issues—are there any revised numbers to report there? Rood: Well Justice League #1 was a 400,000 copy monster between the copies in print and the copies sold digitally. There are three other number ones over 200K including Action Comics, Green Lantern and Batman.
To get all those newcomers who will flock to the movie The Avengers into its own fold, Marvel Comics launches the new series Avengers Assemble on Wednesday, offering the main movie stars — Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow and the Hulk — in a book aimed at the mainstream.
- Jessica Jones Meets Roger Rabbit – Black Cloud #1, Out This April, From Jason Latour, Ivan Brandon, Greg Finkle, Matt Wilson And Image Comics - January 16, 2017
- CBLDF Tackles New Hampshire Bill That Would Restrict Reading In Schools - January 16, 2017
- Russia Uses Comics To Target Migrants For Looking At Women, Eating On The Street Or Talking Loudly - January 16, 2017
- The First Exclusive Retailer Variant With An Exclusive Extra Eight Pages Too – X-O Manowar For Collector’s Paradise - January 16, 2017
- Could Sony Sell Spider-Man To CBS? - January 16, 2017