Josh Viola of Leviathan Games has created The Bane Of Yoto, a digital comic for the iPhone 4 and iPads, using tilt controls to alter the way you see different levels on the page. The background and foreground of the panel turn as you twist the page.
It basically gives the illustration a three dimensionality in your hands without any pesky eye gymnastics. And while the app throws in music, and limited animation, the 3D aspect strikes me as something relatively very cheap that might add a positive reading experience to many comics, if there was a template to upload the different elements into.
The comic itself is a bit of a swords-and-sorcery monster romp, that feels far too silly without having a sense of humour about itself. But the shifting background and foreground, that feels something that has all sorts of storytelling possibilities.
The Bane Of Yoto is available free right now.
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018
- First Peek at Wild’s End Original Graphic Novel by Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard - January 20, 2018
- 28-Page Preview of Super Suckers #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 20, 2018
- A Chat with Travis McIntire, Publisher of Source Point Press - January 20, 2018