Josh Viola of Leviathan Games has created The Bane Of Yoto, a digital comic for the iPhone 4 and iPads, using tilt controls to alter the way you see different levels on the page. The background and foreground of the panel turn as you twist the page.
It basically gives the illustration a three dimensionality in your hands without any pesky eye gymnastics. And while the app throws in music, and limited animation, the 3D aspect strikes me as something relatively very cheap that might add a positive reading experience to many comics, if there was a template to upload the different elements into.
The comic itself is a bit of a swords-and-sorcery monster romp, that feels far too silly without having a sense of humour about itself. But the shifting background and foreground, that feels something that has all sorts of storytelling possibilities.
The Bane Of Yoto is available free right now.
- We Are All Monsters – A Cadaver’s Confession - January 22, 2017
- Through The Eyes Of An Elephant-Man - January 22, 2017
- ‘Bout Time … Deadpool Meets Gwenpool - January 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 22nd January 2017 – “I Ordered Really Low On Monsters Unleashed But It Wasn’t Low Enough” - January 22, 2017
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017