Josh Viola of Leviathan Games has created The Bane Of Yoto, a digital comic for the iPhone 4 and iPads, using tilt controls to alter the way you see different levels on the page. The background and foreground of the panel turn as you twist the page.
It basically gives the illustration a three dimensionality in your hands without any pesky eye gymnastics. And while the app throws in music, and limited animation, the 3D aspect strikes me as something relatively very cheap that might add a positive reading experience to many comics, if there was a template to upload the different elements into.
The comic itself is a bit of a swords-and-sorcery monster romp, that feels far too silly without having a sense of humour about itself. But the shifting background and foreground, that feels something that has all sorts of storytelling possibilities.
The Bane Of Yoto is available free right now.
- Genderflipping Doctor Jekyll And Mr Hyde – Living In An Electric Empire At C2E2 With Viola Carr - April 23, 2017
- 31 Shots Of Cosplay From C2E2 Day 2 From Neon Leia To A Full Galactus - April 22, 2017
- Legacy Numbering, Classic And Modern Characters, Value Stamps And The Return Of FOOM To Marvel Comics – What Were Bleeding Cool Scoops? - April 22, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: Smile – It’s A Good Thirteenth Life - April 22, 2017
- Talking Hydra, Marvel, Nazis, Captain America On A Saturday Morning - April 22, 2017