Josh Viola of Leviathan Games has created The Bane Of Yoto, a digital comic for the iPhone 4 and iPads, using tilt controls to alter the way you see different levels on the page. The background and foreground of the panel turn as you twist the page.
It basically gives the illustration a three dimensionality in your hands without any pesky eye gymnastics. And while the app throws in music, and limited animation, the 3D aspect strikes me as something relatively very cheap that might add a positive reading experience to many comics, if there was a template to upload the different elements into.
The comic itself is a bit of a swords-and-sorcery monster romp, that feels far too silly without having a sense of humour about itself. But the shifting background and foreground, that feels something that has all sorts of storytelling possibilities.
The Bane Of Yoto is available free right now.
- Dick Grayson is Now Called Ric Grayson as Fabian Nicieza Joins Scott Lobdell on Nightwing #51 - October 15, 2018
- The Full DC Comics Catalogue for January 2019 - October 15, 2018
- The Writer of Invictus Pens Graphic Novel, Mandela and the General - October 15, 2018
- Olivia Olson’s Marcy & Simon #1 Kicks Off Official Canon Continuation of Adventure Time in January - October 15, 2018
- The Future of Black Label at DC Comics – It’s All Stephen Colbert’s Fault? - October 15, 2018