As part of the six new May books being announced today, DC Comics has also announced six cancellations, all ending on their eighth issues. Men Of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock.
While none of the titles have performed in a stellar fashion, Hawk And Dove was doing better than a number of others, including Captain Atom, and the original writer Sterling Gates had left the book over a new editorial direction, with Rob Liefeld taking over. One wonders how long that editorial direction was planned for. Liefeld does have a number of projects lined up though, I understand, including Deathstroke.
O.M.A.C was co-written by co-publisher Dan DiDio, and as I pointed out earlier, there would have been allegations of favouritism if this book had survived a cull, even though sales of the book had been relatively improving.
Men Of War was one of my favourite books though Ivan Brandon walking off the book with the sixth issue didn’t inspire me with confidence. At least he can say he walked and wasn’t pushed. Blackhawks was another, and was probably the closest thing I could find to the writing of Warren Ellis in the new 52.
It is notable that two of the books, Mister Terrific and Static Shock featuired a single male black lead, leaving Batwing. A modicum of self recognition is superhero titles is sometimes necessary, and it is a shame that this has been denied many now. But sales on both these titles were rather low, comparatively. Although they both will have sold tens of thousands more copies than they would have done without a DC Relaunch.
- Sharkey The Bounty Hunter, Spider-Gwen Bust on Next Week’s Previews Cover - November 21, 2018
- Nobody Is In Control #1 by Patrick Kindlon and Paul Tucker Launches in Black Mask February 2019 Solicits - November 21, 2018
- Three Simone Bianchi Pages From Mark Millar’s Sharkey The Bounty Hunter – He Really Looks Like Lemmy, Doesn’t He? - November 21, 2018
- Will Donny Cates Bring Back Karen Page to the Marvel Universe in Marvel Knights Twist? (#2 Spoilers) - November 21, 2018
- It’s New Comics Wednesday For the Marvel Universe in Sleepwalker #3 (Spoilers) - November 21, 2018