As part of the six new May books being announced today, DC Comics has also announced six cancellations, all ending on their eighth issues. Men Of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., Hawk And Dove, Blackhawks and Static Shock.
While none of the titles have performed in a stellar fashion, Hawk And Dove was doing better than a number of others, including Captain Atom, and the original writer Sterling Gates had left the book over a new editorial direction, with Rob Liefeld taking over. One wonders how long that editorial direction was planned for. Liefeld does have a number of projects lined up though, I understand, including Deathstroke.
O.M.A.C was co-written by co-publisher Dan DiDio, and as I pointed out earlier, there would have been allegations of favouritism if this book had survived a cull, even though sales of the book had been relatively improving.
Men Of War was one of my favourite books though Ivan Brandon walking off the book with the sixth issue didn’t inspire me with confidence. At least he can say he walked and wasn’t pushed. Blackhawks was another, and was probably the closest thing I could find to the writing of Warren Ellis in the new 52.
It is notable that two of the books, Mister Terrific and Static Shock featuired a single male black lead, leaving Batwing. A modicum of self recognition is superhero titles is sometimes necessary, and it is a shame that this has been denied many now. But sales on both these titles were rather low, comparatively. Although they both will have sold tens of thousands more copies than they would have done without a DC Relaunch.
- There’s A DC Comic In The January Loot Crate…. - January 19, 2017
- How The Green Lanterns Comic Tackles Anxiety In A Remarkably Superheroic Fashion - January 19, 2017
- Twenty-Three Uses For An Overshipped Marvel Comic - January 19, 2017
- Chris Ware, Cosey And Larcenet Are Three Finalists For Angoulême’s Grand Prix , After Alan Moore Pulled Out Again - January 19, 2017
- VIDEO – Stan Lee Unboxes His First Box As His Second Goes Silver Age - January 19, 2017