UPDATE: Here’s the cover in question…
Yesterday, Marvel put out a press release about how comic book readers could get their own face onto a copy of Amazing Spider-Man. Readers were asked to contact their local comic book retailers to ask how.
But Bleeding Cool is happy to lay it out for everyone.
To qualify, a comic shop has to match orders for a previous issue of the comic, then order 2000 copies of the You’re Spider-Man variant of Amazing Spider-Man #669. That’s a lot of comics, and a lot of money to have one customer’s face on the front of it.
Some rich customers may be willing to foot the bill. Some retailers may fancy a little ego trip themselves. But retailers might consider some like of lottery or promotion. If they can get a few hundred customers to pay $10 to enter, with the winner getting his face on the comic and a stack of the comics as a prize (with everyone who enters getting a copy) then maybe it might be achievable for some. But not for all.
In comparison, this week’s retailer store variant promotion only required retailers order 500 copies of the comic, itself probably ten times what most stores will usually stock of the comic, and had 150 participants. The increased price will mean a reduced participation.
The store will get their logo on the cover of the comic and an ad for their store on the back. so this could well be a useful outreach and advertising programme, but one that will cost them $4000 or more to participate in. So if you really really want your face on 2000 copies of the comic, you could just slip your retailer a cheque.
Interestingly this promotion does tie into the Amazing Spider-Man story at the moment, Spider-Island, where the residents of Manhattan are al given spider powers by bed bugs. But this is a rather costly way to become part of the story.
I’m all right Jack, of course, as the people at Larry’s Comics photoshopped my face (as photographed by Pinguino at New York a few years ago) onto their retailer variant, out this week…
- Vault Comics Publishes Rare Variant Covers… but is Sneaking Around Diamond to Fulfill Them - March 23, 2018
- Sneak Peek at IDW and DC Comics During WonderCon Setup – and Where to Get Your Sonic the Hedgehog #1 - March 23, 2018
- ComiXology Bestseller List, 23rd March 2018 – Marvel’s Discount Collections Can’t Beat Batman - March 23, 2018
- Over 80 Exclusive Items From WonderCon 2018, as the Doors Open… - March 23, 2018
- Marvel to Publish Free ‘Marvel Universe Magazine’ for 18th April - March 23, 2018