A presentation by Chip Kidd on designing the All Star logos for DC Comics has found new prominence.
He first talks about the process (12 minutes in) then on first seeing Frank Quitely’s cover art for issue 1. (19 minutes in)
With a few quotes;
“This looks like if you’re the set photographer for the new Superman movie, and they’re setting up the shot over there and so you just have to kill time so you say “Oh Mr Superman would you just like sit over here on this cloud and I’ll just do a publicity photo for the downtime of the movie.””
“And then the Batman art comes in. Which has the total opposite problem.”
“Could it be any busier? To say nothing of the fact that Robin is kicking Batman in the penis.”
“Frank Miller by the way hated the Superman cover, cos he had nothing to do with it and he said to me that this says “Superman’s saying I can fly and you can’t!””
But there’s suddenly been some recent tweet action which kicked off a flurry of traffic.
Bernito Cereno: I finally watched part of that Chip Kidd video. I don’t understand how anyone of any intelligence could dislike the All-Star Supes #1 cover.
David Allen Jones: Oh man. He’s an undeniably great designer, but he could not have interpreted that more incorrectly. Ouch.
Bernito Cereno: Yes, exactly.
David Allen Jones: And he has to be so fucking snide about it, too.
Bernito Cereno: When he put the image of the cover up on screen and the audience hoots with laughter, my heart just shattered.
Dean Trippe: Those people were sheep. I could’ve made them cheer it.
Bernito Cereno: Yeah man, I just… sigh.
Dean Trippe: audience full of people who are dead inside.
Bernito Cereno: Unless they believe it to be, like, a taco made of phone booths.
Dean Trippe: hahahaha. I know. He’s made the exact opposite interpretation of its intended meaning. Nonsensical would be better.
- A Comic Show Post-San Diego… “Some Jackass Who’s Always On Bleeding Cool” – Robert Kirkman - July 25, 2017
- My Conversation with Sonny Liew: The Eisner Winner Behind ‘The Art Of Charlie Chan Hock Chye’ - July 25, 2017
- You’d Have Gotten An Exiles #125 With Marvel Legacy If It Wasn’t for Those Pesky Kids - July 25, 2017
- Jorge Molina And RB Silva Join Charles Soule On Astonishing X-Men? - July 25, 2017
- Hang On, Why Am I Being Asked To Preview Tomorrow’s Pitiful Human Lizard #14? - July 25, 2017