Last week’s issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season #8, Them Fucking (Plus The True History Of The Universe) featured an issue long sex scene between Buffy and Angel. Flying. At one point, into space. While their crew explore the history of magic and stuff. Like this.
Which reminded me terribly of another comic, Promethea #10, Sex, Stars And Serpents.
But there’s another #34 that it’s worth considering… Swamp Thing #34, Rite Of Spring. Where Abby And Swamp Thing have sex, through the hallucinatory shared experience of Abby eating from Alec’s own body.
It’s quite famous. Was the issue number similarity purely coincidence? Either way – more sex-as-expositionary-montages in comics please!
In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. In Thematic Swipe File we look at similar approaches, ideas or indeed themes. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself. If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn’t judge, it’s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran a column by this name, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
- 30 DC Comics Covers For December From Frank Cho, Jenny Frison, JG Jones, Jim Lee And More - November 22, 2017
- Frank Miller’s Cover For Kamandi Challenge #12 - November 22, 2017
- Changes To Batman #38: Tom King And Travis Moore To Tell The Origin Of Bruce Wayne - November 22, 2017
- New Darkness, Cyber Force, Aphrodite V To Join New Witchblade In 2018 - November 22, 2017
- Black Friday Comic Store Deals For 2017: Part One - November 22, 2017