UPDATE: A second corrective piece to the article below, appears here. You may want to read it first. The original article runs below.
Bleeding Cool has received a tip off from a tv source close to the situation that FX has cancelled their order for a TV series based on the DC/Vertigo critically acclaimed, bestselling and fan-favourite comic book series Y: The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra. This happened just over 3 months after they ordered it to series.
People are rather shocked.
In February, FX announced a series order for the show and at ECCC in March 2019, Pia Guerra told the crowd they might be getting it soon.
“I’m thinking later this year or the start of the new year. They did the pilot last fall, we got to visit the set a couple of times. It was amazing-looking, and we just got the green light last month, and it looks like it’s gonna start filming in the summer.”
Seems not. Unless someone else picks it up. Please, someone, pick it up. Hey, DC Universe app? Over here…
No one is returning our e-mails. I am told that the news is meant to go official today. Probably.
The show was be co-created, written and executive produced by showrunners Michael Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049) and Aida Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn), and starred Diane Lane (Man of Steel), Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), Imogen Poots (Roadies), Lashana Lynch(Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession), Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete), Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), and Amber Tamblyn (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants).
The show is set in a world in which all the men suddenly died – all but one, Yorick. Notes for the show follow:
● Lane’s Senator Jennifer Brown is a first-term Junior Senator who’s already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics. She is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.
● Keoghan’s Yorick Brown is a young man who uses humor to deflect from his problems – and who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.
● Poots’ Hero Brown is a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.
● Lynch’s Agent 355 is a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism – even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.
● Canfield’s Beth is a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick; and when they’re together, there’s the undeniable spark of two kids in love.
● Ireland’s Nora is the President’s senior assistant and right hand – balancing a family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.
● Hutton serves as the President of the United States of America Callows.
● Tamblyn’s Mariette Callows is the President of the United States’ daughter, groomed for a career in politics and to uphold her father’s conservative values.
Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, Crazy Rich Asians) and Vaughan were to executive produce and develop the series. Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) directed the pilot episode and also serves as executive producer.
This story is developing and we’ll update as we hear more.