Epix recently unleashed a new trailer for Pennyworth, a new hour long drama that acts as a prequel to Gotham, which is in itself a prequel to Batman… That’s a whole lot of prequels!
With that new trailer, we have descriptions of the characters that will be portrayed in Pennyworth, which chronicles the life of a young Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon), and his pivotal meeting (and eventual friendship) with Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge).
From Warner Horizon Scripted Television, DC origin story Pennyworth is a ten-episode, one-hour drama series based on DC characters created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. It follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne, Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960’s London.
Pennyworth stars Jack Bannon, Paloma Faith, Ben Aldridge, Hainsley Lloyd Bennett, Ryan Fletcher, Jason Flemyng and Polly Walker.
Bruno Heller (Gotham, The Mentalist, Rome) serves as executive producer/writer and Danny Cannon serves as executive producer/director (Gotham, CSI series).
Here’s what we know so far:
● Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon) is a former British SAS soldier in his 20’s, who forms a security company and goes to work with young billionaire, Thomas Wayne in 1960s London. Alfred doesn’t know how to reconcile the kind-hearted boy he used to be with the cold, calculated killer he was forced to become. He’s a man on the make, who doesn’t know what to make of himself yet.
● Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge) is a young, fresh-faced billionaire hailing from the East Coast of the United States. Confident and extremely disciplined, this young aristocrat meets an unlikely business partner in Alfred.
● Lord Harwood (Jason Flemyng) is cultured, urbane, brilliant and sure of himself – with a sadistic, cruel nature and a veneer of charm.
● Peggy Sykes (Polly Walker) is the sister of Lord Harwood’s partner-in-crime Bet Sykes (UK pop star Paloma Faith) and one of Lancashire’s busiest and most successful dominatrixes. The sensible matriarch in a family of maniacs, Peggy is fiercely loyal, endlessly resourceful, and lives by her own strange but rigorous moral code.
● Bet Sykes (Paloma Faith) is Lord Harwood’s partner-in-crime, a spirited, sadistic and sharp-tongued villain.
● Dave Boy (Ryan Fletcher) and Bazza (Hainsley Lloyd Bennett) are lifelong friends of Alfred’s from their army days serving in the same corps. Dave Boy, a haggard Highland Scotsman with a dangerous drinking problem since leaving the army, is a close ally of Alfred and Bazza and also the most unpredictable of the trio. Posh Bajan playboy Bazza is highly proficient at logistics and a valued member of the team.
● Martha Kane (Emma Paetz) is the woman we will know later as Martha Wayne (???)
● The Queen (Jessica Ellerby) is set as a recurring character – but not much else is known… yet.
We’ll have more information on Pennyworth as we get it!