It seems the blood is very much in the water over at Marvel and Netflix.
A week after they announced that Iron Fist would not be receiving a third season Deadline has learned that Luke Cage is the second series to get the axe. The show has been cancelled and there won’t be a third season.
Unfortunately, Marvel’s Luke Cage will not return for a third season,” said Marvel and the streaming service on Friday. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series.”
The Deadline report notes that creative differences and the inability to strike a deal could be factors. There is also the chance that this is Marvel and Netflix changing directions. Jeph Loeb has noted that Daughters of the Dragon, a series starring Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, is one of the most requested series he gets right now. By cancelling Iron Fist and Luke Cage they can spin the two shows off into Daughters of the Dragon and possibly a Heroes for Hire show starring Luke Cage and Iron fist. Two mighty Marvel team-ups could be the new direction for the Marvel Netflix partnership.
The third season of Daredevil dropped today, a second season of the The Punisher is due out sometime next year along with a third season of Jessica Jones.
- 'Marvel's Luke Cage': Mike Colter Posts Heartfelt Life Update
- Punisher Season 2 and Jessica Jones Season 3, the Last Marvel Netflix Shows?
- Marvel's Iron Fist Season 2: There's Something About (Typhoid) Mary in New Images
- Interview with Robert Rodriguez and Michelle Rodriguez for the VR Film ‘The Limit’ - November 20, 2018
- Second Reel: Dredd (2012) Deserves a Sequel - November 18, 2018
- Widows Review: A Dynamic and Fantastic Heist Movie - November 18, 2018
- 5 Amazing Movies That You Probably Missed in 2018 - November 18, 2018
- Johnny Depp Continues to Shatter the Magic of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - November 16, 2018