After all of the news about the PS4 finally setting up cross-play for Fortnite, fans were quick to hit up Psyonix about the possibilities for Rocket League. Yesterday, the company posted a letter on Reddit from the CEO addressing it, confirming that it appears those plans are now in the works. No fine details were released, not a timeframe, but it looks like Rocket League will be headed to multi-console cross-play somewhere down the road.
Cross play across all consoles is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. It has been my passion since the inception of Rocket League and I have constantly encouraged my team that we not only have the opportunity but the obligation to be pioneers in bringing gamers together regardless of platform. Games may come and go but it is not often that you have the ability to be part of a real step forward in online gaming.
We built Rocket League to be a cross-platform game from the very beginning. It has been a Psyonix mandate that our technology, processes, and policies must always comply with this effort and we have worked tirelessly to ensure it. We hoped that other developers would join us in this effort and they did. We hoped that gamers would cry out for more and they did.
Of course, cross-platform play is not something Psyonix and Rocket League can do on it’s own. It takes the substantial cooperation and coordination of many partners, most notably the platform holders themselves. It is with the greatest joy that I can now acknowledge that all the major consoles are making progress towards a truly all-platform cross-platform play experience!
I want everyone to understand just how much of a priority this is for us and always has been for our team. There are still many factors, some of which take time, that means we have to have some patience. I am excited beyond words and I wanted to make sure that our players know where we stand. I can’t wait to see our vision for a truly unified Rocket League community finally realized.
- Review: Jinx's Rocket League Gear and Accessories
- Rocket League's Zephyr Update Due to Drop on July 30th
- Rocket League 2 Won't Be Coming Anytime Soon
- Rocket League Shows Off More of the Jurassic World Car Pack
- Rocket League Reveals their Summer 2018 Development Roadmap
- Rocket League is Getting Switch Performance and Quality Options on Switch
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Receives Second DLC Today - December 18, 2018
- Black Ops 4’s 1.10 Update Makes Major Changes to Blackout - December 18, 2018
- Fallout 76 Fans Are Calling Out Bethesta on Microtransaction Pricing - December 18, 2018
- Blizzard Celebrates the Holidays With a New Stop Motion Video - December 18, 2018
- “Anaconda” and “Lockhart” Are the Code Names for Xbox’s Next Consoles - December 18, 2018