We wish we were out in the middle of the desert this week/weekend to experience the absolute madness (and awesomeness) that is Wasteland Weekend.
Fans of Mad Max no doubt have heard of the post-apocalyptic event, which strives to create a thriving outpost in the days following the fall of civilization. According to Wasteland Weekend’s post-2017 event report, the event sold out of tickets for a third year in a row. (We have it on good authority that they sold out again this year).
Apparently the organizers have limited growth intentionally, as Wasteland’s Event Director and Co-Founder Jared Butler explains: “Wasteland is run by a small staff and an army of volunteers. We want those volunteers to grow their skills with the event, so that our staffing and infrastructure never get overwhelmed by the size of the population”.
The other benefit of this controlled chaos is cited by the event’s art director and Chief of Operations, Adam Chilson: “When we grow at a reasonable pace, it means veteran attendees always outnumber the newcomers. It helps the event keep the feeling of being one big returning family.”
While we’re not there in person this year, photographer extraordinaire Bryan Humphrey of Mad Scientist With A Camera was kind enough to let us feature his gallery (thus far) of Wasteland Weekend images from 2018. He’ll be compiling a yearbook of this year’s images, like what he does for Dragon Con annually.
And yes, there is a full-scale Thunderdome where you can FIGHT.
Check it out:
Check back throughout the weekend for additional photos from Wasteland Weekend.
- Writer Jay Basu Added to ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Film - December 18, 2018
- George Takei Boards Season 2 of AMC’s ‘The Terror’ - December 18, 2018
- Joel Harlow Talks ‘Hellboy’ Makeup, Getting Mike Mignola’s Approval - December 18, 2018
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’: Number One, Captain Pike More Than Shipmates? - December 18, 2018
- Disney+ Period Piece ‘Lady and The Tramp’ Will Have Real Dogs - December 18, 2018