Writer Kieron Gillen and artist Stephanie Hans have teamed up for a new creator-owned comic at Image called Die. The book follows a group of adults who, as D&D playing teenagers, mysteriously disappeared for two years and refused to talk about what happened. Whatever it was, it’s coming back to haunt them now. It’s probably best explained by these teaser images:
Sounds spooky. A little bit Stranger Things, a little Fire in the Sky, maybe even some Jumanji and a dash of It. It must have been a cakewalk to pitch this one.
In an interview on THR we pulled a quote from to lengthen our word count, Gillen said:
Role-playing games are part of the cultural conversation in a way they haven’t been since the 1980s. I suspect DIE is going to sit a little apart from most of it, especially the comics. Most of the D&D comics either are straight satires or leaning into the fun and games of those memories. We’re a lot bleaker. It’s me, so it’s still playful, but I take fantasy games as seriously as I take pop music and this is a product of that.
Fundamentally, it’s a book about a group of adults who realize their lives have not measured up to their teenage hopes, merged with a Planetary-esque examination of everything that lead fed into D&D (And how D&D took over the world’s conception of fantasy.) That’s pretty heavy, and necessary, and its timeliness adds to the sense that it really needs to be done.
Look for Die in stores in December.
- Kobold Press Successfully Funds D&D 5E Version of Tales of the Old Margreve
- Making Money!: We Review Dungeons & Dragons - Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
- Choose Your Own Fate — We Review D&D Endless Quest: Into The Jungle
- Coloring the Eyestocks: We Review D&D's Adventures Outlined
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018