When Lashana Lynch joined the cast of Captain Marvel fans were quick to hope that she was playing Monica Rambeau. When the first photos were released yesterday we found out that she is playing Maria Rambeau but she does have a young daughter. In an article with Entertainment Weekly with Lynch it has been confirmed that her young daughter is Monica. For Lynch it was important that Maria had strength and never came across as someone who needed to be saved.
“Maria’s got a strength that’s undeniable, in that you don’t feel like you need to help her,” Lynch says. “She is thrown into many a situation in this movie that she’s never been a part of, never seen, never experienced — and she just learns it, immediately. She’s very resilient and very strong.”
Maria and Carol are longtime friends in Captain Marvel and have had each others backs for years. It brings a new dynamic that we don’t see in superhero movies very often; sisterhood.
“There’s a certain level of female sisterhood that I haven’t seen in a superhero film before, that we have in abundance,” Lynch adds.
Lynch understood the expectations that come with being not only a person of color in the Marvel Universe but also a single mother. That it was important on multiple levels to make sure everything is done well when it comes to proper representation.
“I, especially after watching Black Panther, want to keep the black community in a place where they trust that every single African-American character in the Marvel universe is going to be represented positively, is going to be represented accurately, and is going to have a real through-line that the black community or people of color will be proud of,” she says. “I want Maria to be upstanding. I want her to have a voice, I want people to understand her and relate to her, and I want mothers to be proud that there’s a single mother in the MCU.”
It’s really awesome that Lynch is so aware of how important the representation is to the community. With Monica having such a rich history in the comics it’s probably a good prediction that Maria will have some lasting impact on the Marvel Universe going forward.
Summary: Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races.
Captain Marvel, directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, will also star Brie Larson, Jude Law, Gemma Chan, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Samuel L. Jackson. The film is set for release on March 8th, 2019.
- Kevin Feige Tries To Explain Why a Solo Female Marvel Movie Took So Long
- Captain Marvel: Jude Law Talks About His Character's Relationship to Carol
- Captain Marvel: Brie Larson Found "a Little Keanu Reeves" in Herself During Training
- 10 Photos from 'Captain Marvel': Skrull, Mar-Vell, and Ronan
- 9 New Character Posters for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Gindelwald - September 24, 2018
- Birds of Prey Film Gets a Early 2020 Release Date - September 24, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2: 3 New Promos Tease the Mutant Divide - September 21, 2018
- New TV Spot for The Nutcracker and the Four Realm Teases the Characters - September 21, 2018
- Daredevil Season 3: New Images, Matt’s Darkness, New and Returning Characters - September 21, 2018