We finally got a first look at Captain Marvel yesterday but there are still a lot of questions about the various characters we see in this movie. One of the big ones is Jude Law and who exactly he is. There are a lot of theories but according to Entertainment Weekly no one is saying what his name is. When Law was asked how he would describe his character, a Kree and the commander of the elite group Starforce which Captain Marvel is a member of, he believes absolutely in the belief of his people.
“He is driven by a belief in the divine leadership of the Kree people,” Law says. “So he’s almost a devout warrior — unquestioning, conservative, but inspirational.”
As for his relationship with Carol they have a bit of a mentor relationship. Law says that his character sees great potential in Carol but that power could be dangerous if left unchecked.
“These extraordinary powers she has, he sees them as something of a blessing and something that she has to learn how to control,” Law says. “That’s a motif throughout the piece, the element of learning to control one’s emotions and to use your powers wisely.”
Star Brie Larson went on to say that their relationship could be a point of contention with other Starforce members such as Djimon Hounsou’s Korath, and Gemma Chan’s Minn-Erva.
“There’s a lot and back and forth that comes with the two of them, which kind of creates a little bit of tension with the rest of Starforce,” Larson adds. “Like, ‘Why do they have a special relationship, and why isn’t it me?’”
Marvel boss Kevin Feige went on to say that Law is someone they have wanted to get into the Marvel Universe for some time but weren’t able to find the right role.
“He’s somebody we have admired for a long time and have wanted to find a role for in our movies, and as fate works in your favor, his part in this is extraordinary,” Feige tells EW. “He really came to play.”
For now Law’s character is probably one of the more mysterious elements of the movie and whether or not we’ll learn his name before the release date has yet to be seen. If he is Mar-Vell and they do go with some variation of Carol’s origin story from the comics that will make that dynamic even more interesting.
Summary: Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races.
Captain Marvel, directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, will also star Brie Larson, Jude Law, Gemma Chan, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Samuel L. Jackson. The film is set for release on March 8th, 2019.
- Let's Talk About That First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer, Ok?
- Captain Marvel: Lashana Lynch Talks Maria Rambeau's Strength and Positive Representation
- Aquaman Director James Wan Was Given the Opportunity to Direct The Flash - December 16, 2018
- Amy Adams Clarifies That She Isn’t Officially out of the DC Universe - December 16, 2018
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018