A glance at Twitter at any given times gives the impression that the comics medium is in constant peril…
I've tweeted about this before, so if you're bored by talk of the economics of comics, ignore this thread.
Proposition: comics aren't for kids anymore and haven't been for kids in decades.
Evidence: Price and access.
— Gerry Conway (@gerryconway) September 3, 2018
… and it’s true that direct market superhero comics aren’t selling like they were 30 years ago. But the comics medium itself is more popular than ever before with kids, thanks to the genre of middle grade comics by the likes of Raina Telgemeier and Dav Pilkey. IDW looks to be trying to grab a piece of that pie with their latest announcement of a new graphic novel called Clyde by Jim Benton, author of kids books like Dear Dumb Diary.
Published by IDW under the Yoe Books imprint, here’s what the graphic novel is about:
The hilarious and heartwarming story of a mischievous bear who believes that happiness can be found over on the rough side of town, Clyde reaffirms that there’s still room for family, friendship, and altruism in even the most rebellious among us.
When Clyde the Bear decides to ditch his safe and peaceful life in Cubville and head off for the mean streets of Grizzly City, he learns – with the help of a reformed juvenile delinquent butterfly – that the Bad Life isn’t always so great, and there’s something to be said for helping your friends and family (even though that really does kind of stink a little).
Said Jim Benton:
We all have sketchy things in our past. It’s a riot to write about a character whose sketchy past is his present!
Look for it in stores in February.
by Jim Benton
104-page, full-color softcover graphic novel, 6” x 8”
- New GWAR OGN The Enormogantic Fail Revisits the Obliteration of Flab Quarv 7 - October 17, 2018
- R.I.P. ResurrXion? Weapon X Missing from Marvel’s January Solicits - October 16, 2018
- Finally, Chuck Austen’s Early X-Men Work Returns to Print at Marvel - October 16, 2018
- Is Ms. Marvel Cancelled? G. Willow Wilson Says It’s Just Taking a “Skip Month” - October 16, 2018
- Chuck Wendig’s Shadow of Vader Not Solicited for January… Has It Been Canceled Completely? - October 16, 2018