Welcome to AWAAI – or Artists, Writers & Artisans Inc.
That’s the name of the new comic book/multi-media company from Bill Jemas, former publisher of Marvel Comics and of Take 2 Interactive’s Double Take Comics.
Bleeding Cool reported that it existed. And that they had hired ex-Marvel EIC Axel Alonso. And that last week they were calling round potential creators and staffers, asking about people’s availability.
And now we know its name. But what else?
Well, according to SEC filings, Artists Writers & Artisans, Inc. have found five million dollars in funding and are looking for another two-and-a-half. And they have new just-off-Broadway offices. These ones.
They have registered trademarks for books or magazines titles:
- Animatronically Correct
- Full House
And as well as Jemas who is executive, promoter and director, are two other directors.
Alexander Taussag of Lightspeed Venture Partners, who are probably behind some of that five million dollars.
While the rest will be from Jon Miller, who ran AOL for four years, was Chairman and CEO of Rupert Murdoch’s Digital Media Group and is now creating a portfolio of digital media companies backed by multi-billion investment firm TPG Capital.
The same person and same financial backing who bought the Fandom websites.
Expect some kind of comics publisher that is pitched as an IP farm, a place to create ideas independent of medium, some big familiar names hired, with comic book pages positioned as acting as storyboards, and an aim of eventually selling off to Amazon Prime, Hulu or the like…
- New Jersey School Board Votes to Keep Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home on the Curriculum - October 13, 2018
- Big Books From Marvel in 2019 – Omnibus, Masterworks and Epic Lines - October 13, 2018
- Marvel Comics to Bring Back Starforce Ahead of Captain Marvel Film - October 13, 2018
- Marvel to Publish Sequel to Brendan Deenan and Cale Atkinson’s Night Night Groot - October 13, 2018
- Marvel to Publish Sequel to Oversized Behold… Galactus Hardcover in May - October 13, 2018