Welcome to AWAAI – or Artists, Writers & Artisans Inc.
That’s the name of the new comic book/multi-media company from Bill Jemas, former publisher of Marvel Comics and of Take 2 Interactive’s Double Take Comics.
Bleeding Cool reported that it existed. And that they had hired ex-Marvel EIC Axel Alonso. And that last week they were calling round potential creators and staffers, asking about people’s availability.
And now we know its name. But what else?
Well, according to SEC filings, Artists Writers & Artisans, Inc. have found five million dollars in funding and are looking for another two-and-a-half. And they have new just-off-Broadway offices. These ones.
They have registered trademarks for books or magazines titles:
- Animatronically Correct
- Full House
And as well as Jemas who is executive, promoter and director, are two other directors.
Alexander Taussag of Lightspeed Venture Partners, who are probably behind some of that five million dollars.
While the rest will be from Jon Miller, who ran AOL for four years, was Chairman and CEO of Rupert Murdoch’s Digital Media Group and is now creating a portfolio of digital media companies backed by multi-billion investment firm TPG Capital.
The same person and same financial backing who bought the Fandom websites.
Expect some kind of comics publisher that is pitched as an IP farm, a place to create ideas independent of medium, some big familiar names hired, with comic book pages positioned as acting as storyboards, and an aim of eventually selling off to Amazon Prime, Hulu or the like…
- Kraven The Hunter Returns in March’s Amazing Spider-Man - December 14, 2018
- Now DC Comics Makes Border Town Back Issues Returnable - December 14, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List, 14th December 2019 – An Annual Surprise - December 14, 2018
- Cambridge Analytica, the Sequel, in Drone Range of Parliament - December 14, 2018
- The Comic Shop Opens in Crawley, England, in Three Days Time - December 14, 2018