During their QukeCon presentation, Bethesda announced that Quake Champions is going free-to-play permanently.
There isn’t a lot out there quite like Quake Champions. Competitive first-person shooters right now have a certain groove and vibe across the board, and while things like time to kill and structure change wildly from game to game, there isn’t a lot out there that works quite like a 90s arena shooter. While Lawbreakers tried to hit that groove, that game didn’t quite work out, meaning the Quake flag is now being held by the franchise that masterminded the entire genre to begin with.
Previously, there has been a barrier to entry, with a paygate for the full game, but that is no longer in place. During the conference, it was announced that Quake Champions is going free-to-play permanently. You no longer will have to pay for the PC game and you can hop in for free, starting now. This was always the plan from the start, and Bethesda has now pulled the trigger on the game, giving everyone a chance to get stuck in. There are, of course, lootboxes as well as Starter Pack and Champions Packs to get stuck into if you want to throw some money into the game too. There are characters and cosmetics galore there if you so wish to drop some money on the game. You can check out the announcement trailer here:
This feels like the exact right time to do this as well. While I have some reservations about how Quake Champions plays, there isn’t anything like it on this scale out there right now. I hope the game finds that broader audience and it opens up for groups of friends to get stuck into. It’s well worth a try, and if you can run it, there is little holding you back now. Get stuck in.
- Quake Champions Next Updates Bring in a Bigger Tier Battle Pass
- Quake Champions Introduces a New Champion and Mode
- The First Ever University Esports Hub Launches in UK as the NSE
- Anthem Shows Off the Legion of Dawn in New Trailer - December 14, 2018
- DayZ is Now Out of Early Access and You Can Play it For Free This Weekend - December 14, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Final DLC Gets Release Date – Will Have Into the Spider Verse Suit - December 13, 2018
- Tony Hawk has a New Game for Mobile - December 13, 2018
- Kingdom Hearts Gets Opening Cinematic With New Skrillex Collaboration - December 10, 2018