Capcom has announced that Monster Hunter: World has sold a massive 8.3 million copies across all channels.
Monster Hunter: World is an interesting success story for Capcom. The series had made its name most prominently on the handheld market in Japan, where it’s been one of the biggest franchises for years. Until January, that popularity wasn’t quite as all-encompassing in western countries, but with the release of Monster Hunter: World, which was built for home consoles from the ground up, that has changed. The game is finding a long and enthusiastic appeal to even mainstream audiences.
To illustrate that success, Capcom has now released sales numbers for the game, and it is pretty impressive. In a sales report, on top of announcing that the company has increased its operating income by 550.8% year-over-year, it was revealed that Monster Hunter: World has sold 8.3 million copies both at retail and digitally. It’s clear the game is having a big effect on Capcom’s business in the report, so it certainly does lead to some interesting questions about the nature of the franchise going forward.
As stated previously, before the release of Monster Hunter: World, the series certainly had a strong handheld focus, and that will continue with the upcoming Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. Still, it will be interesting to see how Capcom now treats the franchise with there being so much enthusiasm for a “built for” home console game too. Not a bad dilemma for Capcom to find itself facing, that is for sure.
- The Witcher and More Will Be Coming to Monster Hunter World in 2019
- Kenwood Experiences Produced a Monster Hunter: World Tournament
- Capcom Releases Monster Hunter: World on PC Today
- Kingdom Hearts Gets Opening Cinematic With New Skrillex Collaboration - December 10, 2018
- Anthem Gets Story Trailer Showing Off Impressive Cutscenes - December 6, 2018
- Far Cry: New Dawn Shows Off Beautiful Post-Apocalypse World - December 6, 2018
- Ubisoft is Teasing a Nuclear Far Cry to be Revealed at The Game Awards - December 6, 2018
- Destiny 2’s Black Armory is a Bizarre First Week Experience as You Can’t Really Play It [Update] - December 5, 2018