FX Networks is at San Diego Comic-Con this week, and they’re holding an FXhibition! What is an FXhibition, you ask? It’s a lot like an exhibition, but with an F instead of an E. Oh, ok, according to the press release, it’s FX’s way of bringing “its buzziest and most beloved shows to life” through “an interactive combination of art and technology.” Yeah, we liked our explanation better too.
Basically, on the lawn of the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel (comic-con room rate: $1 billion a night), FXhibition uses Near Field Communication to create an augmented reality experience out of an art gallery. Now no one will think any less of you for staring at your phone while you’re supposed to be admiring art!
Here’s what you can find at FXhibition:
· “The LEGION Chamber” art instillation: An immersive audiovisual experience commissioned by the internationally-acclaimed Marco Brambilla Studio where participants will find themselves disconnected from the outside world -literally- and fully entrenched in the hypnotic digital realm of David Haller.
· “AMERICAN HORROR STORY Eccentricities Gallery”: A collection of art and oddities inspired by AHS lore and aided by Augmented Reality (AR) technology, which reveals the secrets behind the objects and clues to the series’ upcoming eighth installment.
· MAYANS M.C. Deconstructed Bike Zone: The ultimate photo-op for biker fans. The deconstructed motorcycle is a bold display to introduce Mayans M.C., the highly-anticipated series from Kurt Sutter, creator of Sons of Anarchy. It will also feature a gallery of other acclaimed artists’ takes on the new series, including El Mac, David Flores and Oscar Magallanes.
· ARCHER Sound Boxes: Fans will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get inside the heads of their favorite Archer characters with this whimsical installation by capturing a photo of themselves inside suspended sound boxes adorned with character art. Each sound box features classic sound bites from the show.
· SUNNY The 13th Sunscreen And Water Stations: FX will bring Camp Paddy’s Irish Pub to FXhibition in celebration of the upcoming 13th season of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The space will feature playful camp-themed elements including a photo op, sunscreen and water stations.
· FX 3D Me: Any fan can become an FX hero: Just by stepping into a state-of-the-art 360-degree scanner that captures your picture from all angles, you’ll be transported into a digital art piece from your favorite show. Participating fans will also have an opportunity to get a physical 3D figurine model of themselves.
And here’s the hours it’s open:
· Friday July 20th, 10am – 6pm
· Saturday July 21st, 10am – 6pm
· Sunday July 22nd, 10am – 2pm
Check out a bunch of photos from FXhibition below:
A prophecy says that in the comic book industry's darkest days, a hero will come to lead the people through a plague of overpriced floppies, incentive variant covers, #1 issue reboots, and super-mega-crossover events.
Scourge of Rich Johnston, maker of puns, and seeker of the Snyder Cut, Jude Terror, sadly, is not the hero comics needs right now... but he's the one the industry deserves.