WWE Superstar Roman Reigns is a polarizing figure who elicits more boos than cheers from WWE crowds despite being ostensibly booked as a babyface. However, on Reigns’s Twitter, where The Big Dog’s many devoted followers make Roman look strong every day, kayfabe is alive and well. It seems paradoxical that Twitter, a social media platform whose potential for abuse seems to never go under-utilized, would be the one place where Roman Reigns is free from the cynicism of disgruntled smarks, but it nevertheless is the case.
We first noticed this interesting phenomenon back in April of 2017, when Reigns announced ahead of a match against Braun Strowman at the Payback PPV:
— Roman Reigns (@WWERomanReigns) April 30, 2017
It was a generic a wrestling promo that could be cut in the dark days of 140 characters or less, and yet, Reigns’ fans ate it up. By studying their tweets, we happened upon several unexpected and remarkable discoveries. First, that a large number of Roman Reigns fans refer to The Big Dog by the affectionate nickname “King.” Second, that particularly inspiring Reigns promos must be answered by the exclamation “YASSSS!” When Reigns’ tweets are truly on point, a “YASSSS KING” is the only appropriate response.
— thank you roman ♡ (@KanniReigns) April 30, 2017
— #ThankYouRoman (@ohmywrestling) April 30, 2017
— leanne (@leannedier) April 30, 2017
— fearless brittany ✨ (@fearlessbritt_) July 9, 2017
yesss king, kill it!! 🤙🏼
— ana (@anaaaxmb) July 9, 2017
These rules have held true whenever we’ve checked in on Reigns, last July before the Great Balls of Fire PPV, and in December when Reigns shrugged off a $5000 fine for assaulting an official during a match with Samoa Joe. Further, it appears that the bigger the hoss Reigns is squaring off against at any given moment, the more excited his kayfabe-adhering Twitter followers are.
So it’s no surprise that with Reigns going up against megahoss Bobby Lashley at Extreme Rules this month, the stud factor in the rivalry is off the charts, meaning that when Reigns took to Twitter to taunt his opponent…
10 years was a long time ago.
Different game, better players, my yard now. See if you can keep up. https://t.co/TAF5KKSu6H
— Roman Reigns (@WWERomanReigns) July 3, 2018
…his fans were sure to feel it.
— 🧡🎗KAY🍂#GetWellSoon🍁🦃 (@kendrayouson) July 3, 2018
SHOW HIM WHO THE KING IS pic.twitter.com/Hpz5RzlGxL
— THANKYOUROMAN 🧡 (@CAliGurl201) July 3, 2018
king of matches
— ashley | 2 | 3 (@ImSisterAbigail) July 3, 2018
With some fans even calling for Reigns to end Lashley once and for all.
end him king
— 🍂 (@blissfulmella) July 3, 2018
— Lizzy☔️•3• (@PunksPepsii) July 3, 2018
Roman u r King of Wwe
— It's Me Suhail (@ItsMeSuhail1) July 4, 2018
— nika #getwellsoonroman (@xromansyard) July 3, 2018
With this kind of support, it’s no wonder WWE won’t turn Reigns heel as smark fans demand. And maybe they shouldn’t. Roman Reigns’ Twitter is wrestling in its truest form, and does anybody have the right to spoil that?
WWE Extreme Rules takes place July 15th.
- Roman Reigns on WrestleMania Match with Brock Lesnar: We're Not Afraid to Bang
- Bad Boy Roman Reigns Shrugs off $5000 WWE Fine for Shoving Official #YASSKING
- Fans Wish "King" Roman Reigns Luck Against Braun Strowman At WWE Great Balls Of Fire #YASSKING
- Roman Reigns Says Tonight Is Only About #Payback, Fans Respond: "YASS KING"
- In Goodbye Post for X-Men Red, Tom Taylor Says He Could Have Written Series for Years - December 12, 2018
- Marvel Unlimited Comes Into the Spider-Verse With Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham - December 12, 2018
- Is Tom Taylor Planning to Kill the DC Universe? - December 12, 2018
- Mark Bagley and Chip Zdarsky Launch a Mini-Series Where Spider-Man Ages in Real Time - December 12, 2018
- That Time Bruce Wayne Teamed Up With Donald Trump… In Real Life?! - December 12, 2018