We are very obsessed with the idea of sequels and franchises. It’s extremely common now for a director or writer to get a question about a sequel to a movie before the next entry in the series is even out. With how Marvel is running their business, it isn’t that surprising that The Hollywood Reporter asked Ant-Man and The Wasp director Peyton Reed if he had any aspirations for Ant-Man 3.
I’ll answer that question really honestly. Who knows, because I suspect, I don’t know this, but I think any further announcement of the slate — the rest of this year is going to be about the next Avengers movie and the tee-up to that stuff. And then I think we are all hopeful. Just the same as last time. We didn’t have any idea there would be a second Ant-Man until maybe a month or so after the first one came out. This was a giant question mark. With the first one, there was obviously behind-the-scenes drama that preceded me, but also, it’s Ant-Man. There was a question of, “Are people going to go see this movie?” It was not a fait accompli. It could have gone either way. I think we are all interested in doing one. There is story to tell there. Definitely. There is story we’ve talked about, potentially. I’m very, very hopeful.
Marvel isn’t talking when it comes to their slate beyond 2019, but if Ant-Man and The Wasp does well, it stands to reason they would want another one. These movies have found their own little niche within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so it stands to reason that Marvel would want to keep it up.
Summary: As Scott Lang balances being both a Super Hero and a father, Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym present an urgent new mission that finds the Ant-Man fighting alongside The Wasp to uncover secrets from their past.
Ant-Man and The Wasp, directed by Peyton Reed, stars Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Hannah John-Kamen, Michael Douglas, and Michael Peña. It will be released on July 6th.
- Director Petyon Reed's Thoughts About Weird Al Yankovic's Star Ceremony
- We Almost Had a Michelle Pfeiffer 'Catwoman' Spinoff Film
- Ant-Man and The Wasp: Evangeline Lilly Talks The Wasp's Distinct Fighting Style
- [Very] Early Estimates Say Avengers: Endgame Could Make $2B at the Worldwide Box Office - December 9, 2018
- Amy Adams Thinks She’s Out of the DC Universe - December 9, 2018
- Carol Danvers Stands Tall in This New Poster for Captain Marvel - December 8, 2018
- First Trailer for Brightburn Imagines ‘What If Superman Was Evil?’ - December 8, 2018
- Dark Phoenix’s Script Was Reviewed by Kevin Feige, Will Have a Similar Tone to Logan - December 8, 2018