Grand Theft Auto 5 players had a bit of a shock in game yesterday when a seemingly officially message started to broadcast that GTA 6 was coming out in 2019.
Grand Theft Auto 6 is one of the most anticipated games there is. The last game has been an absolute juggernaut for sales, routinely showing up on charts still to this day. It’s one of the very biggest media brands in the world, and that is why the next game will be hard for any title to top.
That’s why players got a bit of a shock recently when they received the message, “GTA VI coming 2019” (you can see an example here). Players were confused as it would be weird for 1) a new GTA to launch so close to Red Dead Redemption 2 and 2) for Rockstar to announce the game so nonchalantly.
Well, it has unsurprisingly turned out to be a fake. The official Rockstar Support account has said it was a hoax and that its content did not come from Rockstar themselves. They said:
This is a hoax made with the use of mods, and not an official message or statement from Rockstar Games. *OV
— Rockstar Support (@RockstarSupport) July 2, 2018
It seems that through the use of mods and hacking, some pranksters were able to get access to global messaging on some platforms to put out the hoax. While many players were suspicious, it almost certainly would have fooled a few. The real question is do players have to be worried if such a hack is possible? Is there any security risks here? On that, we will have to see what Rockstar do.
- PUBG Looks to be Bringing Halloween Content to the Game - October 17, 2018
- New SoulCalibur 6 Video Teaches You The Basics - October 16, 2018
- Breath of the Wild Style Open World Pokemon Game Possibly “Still on the Cards” - October 16, 2018
- Destiny 2 Glitch Could Confirm Next Expansion Location - October 15, 2018
- Pokemon Go Still Surging as Game Makes $84 Million in September - October 15, 2018