Yesterday a report surfaced that Marvel had a short list for the Black Widow film that they have been working on. Cate Shortland is apparently one of the frontrunners, but there are two more names added to the list, according to Deadline.
Deadline says that we shouldn’t count out Amma Asante, best known for Belle, Kimberly Peirce, best known for Boys Don’t Cry, or Maggie Betts, best known for Novitiate. Shortland, Assante, and Betts were the three that met with Marvel for the Black Widow movie that is being written by Jac Schaeffer.
Shaeffer was brought on to work on a Black Widow script back in January, and that was the most movement this movie has had since Scarlett Johansson first joined the Marvel universe in 2010. Fans have been asking for a solo Black Widow movie for years, but Marvel never added it to the slate. After Wonder Woman became a smash hit and with Captain Marvel on the horizon, it was time for Widow to get her own movie not only written by a woman but possibly directed by one as well.
Marvel has said they aren’t making any new announcements until after Avengers 4 next year, so if this movie goes into development it’s likely going to be very low-key until after May 2019.
- Interview with Robert Rodriguez and Michelle Rodriguez for the VR Film ‘The Limit’ - November 20, 2018
- Second Reel: Dredd (2012) Deserves a Sequel - November 18, 2018
- Widows Review: A Dynamic and Fantastic Heist Movie - November 18, 2018
- 5 Amazing Movies That You Probably Missed in 2018 - November 18, 2018
- Johnny Depp Continues to Shatter the Magic of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - November 16, 2018