You might not know this unless you’ve seen any of the Superman movies, television shows, cartoons, or comic books which rehash his origin, but Superman is a refugee. Yeah. It’s true. The Man of Steel escaped his home planet, Krypton, before it was destroyed and landed in Kansas, where he ended up not in a cage but in the loving care of Ma and Pa Kent (unless you count the Man of Steel movie, in which Pa Kent is the kinda guy that urges Superman to protect his secret identity over saving lives). In any case, Superman is a refugee, so for World Refugee Day, DC Comics took to Twitter, the favorite platform of the president of the United States, to urge fans to “be like Superman and stand up for what’s right. #StandWithRefugees and @theIRC.”
The International Rescue Committee is an organization which “responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future.” For World Refugee Day, the IRC is asking people to take a pledge to support refugees, which reads:
I pledge to advocate and stand with refugees and asylum seekers searching for safety, both at America’s borders and worldwide. I will encourage my elected officials to support refugee-friendly policies and welcome new families into my community with open arms.
You can do so here, if you want to be like Superman that is.
Superman stands up for what’s right. Did you also know he’s a refugee? This #WorldRefugeeDay, be like Superman and stand up for what’s right. #StandWithRefugees and @theIRC. pic.twitter.com/Qn9wY4rDGp
— DC (@DCComics) June 20, 2018
- Does Quentin Quire Have 2nd Thoughts About Saving Jubilee? Next Week’s West Coast Avengers #4 - November 16, 2018
- Wait, There’s Another Crimson Gem of Cyttorak Now? Next Week’s Doctor Strange #8 - November 16, 2018
- The Role of American Xenophobia in Next Week’s Infinity Wars: Ghost Panther #1 - November 16, 2018
- Gambit Remembers Cyclops in Next Week’s Mr. and Mrs. X #5 - November 16, 2018
- Spider-Ham Brainstorms Battle Cries for the Web Warriors in Next Week’s Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-Verse #1 - November 16, 2018