Well, that’s one way to get everyone’s attention. This morning, Epic Games released a brand-new blog post letting fans know that it would be putting over $100 million dollars in prize pool money to go toward upcoming plans for an esports competitive scene for Fortnite. Here’s the message.
Grab your gear, drop in and start training. Since the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale we’ve watched the passion for community competition grow and can’t wait to empower you to battle with the best.
In the 2018 – 2019 season, Epic Games will provide $100,000,000 to fund prize pools for Fortnite competitions. We’re getting behind competitive play in a big way, but our approach will be different – we plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game.
Stay tuned for more details about competitive structures and eligible platforms in the weeks ahead!
The rumor for the past couple months is that we’ll be seeing Epic Games officially launch a Fortnite esports scene at E3. This announcement gives a lot of weight to the idea that it’s true, and based on the cash they’re ponying up, it looks like they want to start big. Hopefully some news will drop before that time, but if not, expect to hear more the second week of June.
- Fortnite Shuts Down Jetpacks Almost Immediately After Launch
- You Can Now Play Rocketeer in Fortnite as the Jetpack Has Arrived
- Fortnite Will Be Coming to Android Devices Later This Summer
- A New Mode to Fortnite Will Allow You to Win V-Bucks
- Epic Games is Adding a Burst Assault Rifle to Fortnite This Week
- Fortnite's Next Patch Delayed Due to an Unknown Issue
- Aggrieved Fortnite Players Keep Calling Board Game Shop in Ohio
- Epic Games Sues Accused Leaker Over Fortnite Comet Strike Content - June 24, 2018
- Devil May Cry 5’s Next Big Reveals to Happen at Gamescom - June 23, 2018
- Fallout 76 Fans Are Making Their Own Map Before the Game Comes Out - June 23, 2018
- Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Just Upped The Difficulty - June 23, 2018
- Lighting For Any Gaming Occasion as We Review Nanoleaf’s Light Panels - June 23, 2018