Developer Psyonix has released their Summer 2018 roadmap for all the upcoming content coming to Rocket League over the next few months. As detailed on the game’s official blog, the Summer 2018 season starts later this month to coincide with the start of competitive PvP Season 8. Players can expect to receive their Season 7 rewards as well as a brand new arena, new in-game music, a new summer-themed event in June, and new licensed DLC packs.
On June 8, the RLCS World Championships will kick off in London and will be streamed live on Twitch.
July will see the annual Rocket League birthday celebrations with anniversary events and special anniversary loot. Also coming in July and August is a major summer feature update which will make it easier to find friends by registering a unique ID and in-game friends list. The new feature is designed to make cross-platform play much easier.
The game is also getting a levelling system overhaul as part of a Progression 2.0 update, which will remove the level 75 cap and re-balance the game to make levels a fixed amount of XP rather than an exponential curve. So it shouldn’t take quite so long to reach those higher levels. Players will also be assigned a new level based on their accumulated experience, with new titles and banners also on the way for players who pass level 100.
As part of the re-balance, XP will be online only and based on time played in matches as well as your score, to make it easier to level up early on if you don’t have a great team. There are also a few other XP mechanics being implemented to further accommodate the new system.
Finally, Psyonix is adding a new Rocket Pass system which, while still in development, will have both free and premium tracks that will allow you to earn different tiers of loot, much like the Fortnite Battle Pass.
The full summer roadmap is below:
In late May, we plan to release a Content Update including:
- A brand new Arena
- The start of Competitive Season 8
- Competitive Season 7 Rewards
- New in-game music with the release of ‘Rocket League x Monstercat Vol. 3’
- And more!
Following the Content Update, June will bring additional activities both in-game and out:
- New, summer-themed in-game Event
- The RLCS Season 5 World Championship live from London (be sure to tune in for Fan Rewards)!
- New Licensed Premium DLC
Every July we celebrate Rocket League’s birthday, and 2018 is no exception. In July, we’ll kick off a big Anniversary in-game Event with some special throwback content for our long time fans as well as a lot of cool goodies to earn. Stay tuned for additional details as we get closer!
SUMMER FEATURE UPDATE (JULY-AUGUST)
We also have another huge Feature Update planned for late Summer. Some of the highlights include:
Cross-Platform Friends & Parties
- Register an in-game ID that is a combination of a name with a unique code, like Scarab#7777
- Add friends from other platforms by entering their ID into the new, in-game friends list
- Party up with your new cross-platform friends and play online!
- Leveling Updates
- We’re removing the level cap of 75 and re-balancing the entire level-up curve. Levels will take a fixed amount of XP to earn instead of becoming exponentially longer as you level up.
- You’ll be converted to a new level appropriate for how much you’ve played Rocket League in your career.
- Leveling up grants you an Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, or Import item (instead of these drops being randomly-timed as they are currently)
- You can earn new Titles and Banners at level 100 and beyond to show off your status
- XP Updates
- As part of the leveling updates, XP is going to become Online-only
- XP will now be based on Time Played in matches in addition to your Score.
- New XP Mechanics!
- Match Completion Bonus (for finishing games)
- Consecutive Games Bonus (for staying in Casual lobbies)
- Party Bonus (for playing with friends)
- Leaver Penalty (to punish quitters in all modes)
- Double XP Weekends
- And more!
- Rocket League's Zephyr Update Due to Drop on July 30th
- Rocket League Shows Off More of the Jurassic World Car Pack
- Fortnite's Next Patch Delayed Due to an Unknown Issue
- Fortnite Announces Thanos Mode is Ending on Tuesday
- Auroch Digital Reveals Their Next Strategy Title Mars Horizon
- Jagex Opens Up Third-Party Publishing Initiative Ahead of Gamescom - August 15, 2018
- The 2018 Call of Duty World Championship Starts Today - August 15, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Has Invaded the New York City Subway System - August 15, 2018
- 4A Games and Deep Silver Open Up Pre-Orders for Metro Exodus - August 15, 2018
- Activision Shows Off New Spyro Reignited Hurricos Gameplay - August 15, 2018