Earlier today, Bleeding Cool revealed the well-sourced rumor that the next big event from DC Comics would be simply called CRISIS. And, yes, would be a reboot.
If true, it seems a cruelty to do such so soon. The DC Comics universe is currently working better than it has for a long time. The Superman titles have been strong, the Batman titles are soaring to new heights, and books like Flash, Wonder Woman, and Harley Quinn are performing really well.
But the books are looking less and less like their movie and TV equivalents. Importantly we have a married Superman to Lois Lane with a kid, Jonathan Kent. And we are about to have a married Batman to Catwoman, with a kid, Damian Wayne. And suddenly DC’s two main superhero comics are about married fathers.
This is the issue that saw Marvel Comics remove the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane from continuity. It also saw DC do the same with the New 52, rebooting to that Superman and Lois Lane were not even a couple, as well as removing the marriages of the Flash and Aquaman and forbidding Batwoman to marry as had been planned.
Since then, the marriage to Lois Lane and their child Jonathan Kent had been injected into continuity by Dan Jurgens, and the wedding of Batman and Catwoman has been a planned sales success for the last two years. And Aquaman has asked Mera to marry him. This all seemed to be Geoff Johns‘s plan to remake some of what was lost with the New 52 and take it further — but Johns is very far removed from the comics these days, with only Doomsday Clock and Earth One to keep him attached.
So just as I hear that Crisis will be DC Comics’ upcoming big event, so I also hear one of their key figures at DC Comics wants several characters to be unmarried again…
I wonder what Mephisto is up to? And who knows where this will end up?
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 18th November 2018 – ‘Hard To Sell What We Do Not Get’ - November 18, 2018
- Penultimate Issue of Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press’ February 2019 Solicits - November 18, 2018
- AfterShock Comics Launches Stronghold. Oberon and a Hit Lunch Special in February 2019 Solicits - November 18, 2018
- Adventures With Extremists, The KLF, Russell Brand and the Righteous Ones of the Blazing Rockets - November 18, 2018
- Mini-Frankensteining DC Comics Solicitations for February 2019 - November 18, 2018