WWE will reportedly hold another sports entertainment event in Saudi Arabia in November, despite multiple controversies surrounding last week’s Greatest Royal Rumble event. WWE faced criticism for holding the event, which was funded by the Saudi government as part of the country’s Vision 2030 social and economic reform program, due to the country’s laws prohibiting WWE’s female wrestlers from performing. It was the most insulting thing to happen to women in wrestling since Trish Stratus was scripted to portray Vince McMahon’s girlfriend on Monday Night Raw.
Additionally, upstart dirt sheet magnate Ryan Satin reported this weekend that Sami Zayn was also kept off the event due to his Syrian heritage. Also, Saudi sporting officials had to issue an apology after WWE accidentally showed video of its female wrestlers on screens in the arena. The footage, which showed Carmella, Sasha Banks, and Bayley wearing their normal wrestling costumes as part of an advertisement, was immediately censored from the Saudi television broadcast.
Executive Triple H defended WWE’s partnership with Saudi Arabia ahead of the event, saying, “you have to understand that every culture is different and just because you don’t agree with a certain aspect of it, it doesn’t mean it’s not a relevant culture,” before praising WWE’s accomplishments in the Women’s Evolution (TM). Haitch said he hoped women would be allowed to compete in Saudi Arabia in the near future.
No apology was issued by Saudi officials or WWE for putting long-suffering wrestling fans through another Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar match. On the bright side, the show did give this to the world, so it wasn’t all bad:
— Austin Creed (@XavierWoodsPhD) April 27, 2018
WWE’s deal with Saudi Arabia is an ongoing partnership, and it looks like, so far, the financial benefits outweigh the negative publicity for WWE. The next event will reportedly take place in November, in the capital city of Riyadh.
- A #MeToo Moment for the Time Variance Authority, Plus: In These Issues, X-Men Will Die! [X-ual Healing 8-22-18] - August 19, 2018
- Did Seth Rollins Raid Thanos’s Wardrobe for SummerSlam Outfit? [SPOILERS] - August 19, 2018
- Trish Stratus Returns for Evolution Dream Match Against Alexa Bliss - August 19, 2018
- Celestial Judgement is Upon the Marvel Universe, Plus Previews for All of Marvel’s 8/22 Releases - August 18, 2018
- Storm Tempted by the Dark Side in Previews for All of Next Week’s X-Men Comics - August 18, 2018