A lot has been said about Alden Ehrenreich, the actor stepping into the tall boots and blaster belt of (in)famous smuggler Han Solo in the upcoming Disney film Solo: A Star Wars Story. Fans have been opining up and down the galaxy far far away since he was cast, and of course, when the directorial pair of Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the film by LucasFilm CEO Kathy Kennedy.
In a recent, pretty lengthy interview with Esquire, Lord and Miller commented on Ehrenreich- specifically why his performance of Han Solo isn’t a Harrison Ford impression, and the process of casting him.
“An impression of Harrison Ford would have felt like an extended Saturday Night Live sketch,” Miller said. “We wanted someone who could evoke the spirit of the iconic performance we all remember while bringing something new and fresh. We talked a little bit about how Chris Pine, playing Captain Kirk, didn’t do a Shatner voice, and brought his own spin to the character while still evoking the vibe of the character. We felt Alden did the same with Han Solo.”
Turns out that Ehrenreich really was the first actor Lord and Miller saw for Han, but the directors sort-of confirm rumors that they ended up auditioning upwards of three thousand. Kennedy refuted this, saying the number was closer to sixteen hundred but agrees that Ehrenreich stood out from “his very first screen test.” He also, very importantly, did what several others did not- killin’ a screen test with Chewbacca (played this time by Joonas Suotamo).
“Alden, remarkably, remained the person to beat from day one,” Miller said. “We brought him in many times, pushed him, tried to test his range, and he was always up for it and brought something new, with a great sense of humor.”
“He felt classic and contemporary all at once,” Lord added. “He seemed like a tough guy who was really scared.”
Ron Howard, who came in to finish the Solo solo movie for the studio after Miller and Lord’s release, commented that Alden “reads a book a day,” and was “reading the Sidney Lumet directing book, he was reading the Elia Kazan book on set,” during filming.
I guess we’ll see what all the fuss is about and if Alden really does measure up when Solo: A Star Wars Story hits theaters next month on May 25th, 2018.
- Season of Solo Coming to Battlefront II
- [#MayThe4th] Joonas Suotamo Posts Roar for Change and Wookie Bootcamp Videos
- [#MayThe4th] Solo: A Star Wars Story Tickets On Sale At Midnight EST
- Another New 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Video Emerges, "Becoming Solo" Featurette
- 2 New 'Solo' TV Spots Arrive, Teasing More Criminal Elements
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Saturday, April 28
- Avengers: Infinity War Blu-Ray Steelbook Already Up For Preorder
- Alden Ehrenreich Talks Lord and Miller's Departure on 'Solo'- Sudden but not Unexpected
- Her Universe Launches 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Fashion Line, Includes Menswear
- Post Production on 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' is Done, Tweets Ron Howard
- New 'Solo' TV Spot Introduces Jon Favreau's Character
- Hear Us Out: Han Solo Didn't Do the Kessel Run, Lando Calrissian Did
- Han and Chewie are on the Cover of Empire for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Another New Solo: A Star Wars Story TV Spot
- New Solo: A Star Wars Story Character Bios
- Things Are Not Going Well for Han in This New Image from Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Ron Howard Shares a Picture from the VFX Review for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Ron Howard Tweets 'Solo' Progress from Skywalker Ranch
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller Will Serve as Executive Producers for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- [SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Our Beloved Princess-General
- Kathleen Kennedy Talks Taika Waititi Directing a Star Wars Film
- Former Han Solo Directors Say The Experience Was "Wonderful"
- Kathleen Kennedy Talks The Next 10 Years Of Star Wars Stories
- Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy Calls For Industry-Wide Commission To Combat Harassment And Abuse
- Lets Talk About Good Eats: Reloaded and Alton Brown - October 15, 2018
- Peter Dinklage Talks Post-Game of Thrones Life, and Tyrion’s Final Day - October 15, 2018
- Dracula Series Coming to BBC, Netflix from Sherlock Team - October 15, 2018
- Meet Alfred for Gotham Spinoff Series, Pennyworth - October 15, 2018
- The Russo Brothers Say Avengers 4 has Wrapped Filming - October 15, 2018