Triple H has responded to criticism of WWE’s partnership with the government of Saudi Arabia to produce the Greatest Royal Rumble event, in which the company’s female performers are not allowed to participate due to Saudi laws that oppress women, who have only recently gained the right to vote, drive, and attend public sporting events with men (provided they are accompanied by a husband or male guardian). In an interview with the Independent, Haitch addressed the issue.
“I understand that people are questioning it, but you have to understand that every culture is different and just because you don’t agree with a certain aspect of it, it doesn’t mean it’s not a relevant culture,” said the WWE executive. “You can’t dictate to a country or a religion about how they handle things but, having said that, WWE is at the forefront of a women’s evolution in the world and what you can’t do is affect change anywhere by staying away from it.”
According to Triple H, WWE’s involvement could lead to more freedom for women in the future.
“While, right now, women are not competing in the event, we have had discussions about that and we believe and hope that, in the next few years they will be,” he explained. “That is a significant cultural shift in Saudi Arabia. The country is in the middle of a shift in how it is dealing with that – the position is changing, and rights are changing, as are the way women are handled and treated in society. We think that’s a great thing and we’re excited to be at the forefront of that change.”
Of course, the hefty check WWE gets to cash may play a role as well.
- Trish Stratus Returns for Evolution Dream Match Against Alexa Bliss - August 19, 2018
- Celestial Judgement is Upon the Marvel Universe, Plus Previews for All of Marvel’s 8/22 Releases - August 18, 2018
- Storm Tempted by the Dark Side in Previews for All of Next Week’s X-Men Comics - August 18, 2018
- Lumberjanes, Amazing World of Gumball, and More in All of BOOM!’s 8/22 Previews - August 18, 2018
- Tonight There’s Gonna Be a Mermin Jailbreak in Oni Previews for 8/28 - August 18, 2018