If you’ve ever wanted to get into Hall H at San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) but never had the chance, 2018 may be your year!
During the ginormous Marvel press day in Los Angeles today, MCU boss Kevin Feige confirmed that the studio will NOT have a panel in the largest room at the July convention in 2018.
“We’re going to do um, of course, Marvel will have a presence there.Marvel Studios will have a presence there only in that there will be 10th-anniversary materials and a 10th-anniversary panel. Not doing Hall H this year.”
This isn’t the first time the studio has announced plans to not host something big in the hall, but in such an important anniversary year for Marvel Studios, it seems surprising. True, they won’t have another big release until 2019, but it’s not like they don’t have one of the most enigmatic ensemble casts to fill the time, and historically- they make some big damn announcements in that room.
I’m not complaining here, maybe this means other studios will step up their offerings, and that fans of not-marvel will have a chance to get in to see some of the scheduled panels this year.
There are still persistent rumors that perhaps the Disney-owned studio will be creating their own event like Star Wars: Celebration or Disney’s D23 Expo. Considering there won’t be either of those events in 2018, perhaps this is heading into the exploratory “let’s see what happens” phase.
Also, it’s worth pointing out that maybe it’s a fake out, and there will indeed be a Marvel block at SDCC come July.
- No Game of Thrones or Westworld at SDCC This Year
- Fox-Owned Marvel Characters Will Not Appear in MCU til Long After Fox Deal Is Done, Kevin Feige Says
- Withholding 'Avengers 4' Title Backfired, Kevin Feige Says
- Kevin Feige Confirms 'Eternals' Film is Being Actively Developed
- Marvel-Ous Ladies of MCU Talk Team-Up Film Rumors
- Kevin Feige Says "Immediate Potential" For a Nova Marvel Movie
- Kevin Feige 'Hoovering Up' Deadpool, Fantastic Four and X-Men for Marvel's Phase 4? Dark Phoenix, the Last Fox X-Men Movie?
- Her Universe Opens 2018 SDCC Fashion Show Submissions
- The Best Viewing Order of the MCU Ahead of Avengers: Infinity War