Would you like to get an entire education and earn a degree to use later in life all by playing Fortnite? Well, that dream exists, and it’s now sitting in Ohio. Ashland University is the first college in the U.S. who will offer a scholarship specifically for playing the game as an esport. Variety got the exclusive story yesterday after the college made the announcement that it would be offering players a $4k scholarship to join their team for the battle royale game. Here’s a quick quote from the team’s head coach Josh Buchanan about creating the team.
“Fortnite appeals to both the core and casual gaming audience,” said Buchanan. “We’re excited to provide this platform for gamers who want to showcase their skills in a more competitive space. Fortnite facilitates an environment that allows players to get creative, innovate and show off their mastery of their skills.”
While this is pretty cool, any college student past and present can tell you $4k ain’t going to make a dent in what you need on a yearly basis. Ashland is a smaller school and this is new territory for them and any other college who wants to jump in, so maybe down the road the money will improve and actually help cover a year’s worth of education. We’ll just have to keep our eyes peeled and see how this plays out.
- Fortnite Plans to Fix the Weapons Swap Equip Issue With Next Update
- Epic Games Pretty Much Confirms Fortnite is Coming to China
- How Fortnite Eclipsed PUBG as the Biggest Gaming Phenomenon
- 50 vs. 50 Will Be Returning to Fortnite For a Limited Time
- More Comets Coming in Fortnite to Destroy the Island's Locations
- Epic Games Says New Fortnite Maps Aren't a Priority
- Techland Launching Their Own Battle Royale Game with Dying Light: Bad Blood - August 20, 2018
- Insomnia: The Ark Gets a New Lore Trailer From the Developers - August 19, 2018
- Jujubee Releases a New Trailer for Their Russian Submarine Game KURSK - August 19, 2018
- God of War Was Almost Set in Ancient Egypt, According to Developers - August 19, 2018
- Treadnauts Receives a New Launch Trailer as It’s Released on Steam - August 19, 2018