During a panel at C2E2 this weekend in Chicago, manga and light novel publisher Viz Media announced that they would be releasing two NieR: Automata light novels within the next year. According to Anime News Network the two novels in question are NieR: Automata: Long Story Short and NieR: Automata: Long Story Long.
From Anime News Network:
Viz Media will release NieR: Automata: Long Story Short this October, and will release NieR: Automata: Long Story Long in spring 2019. The company describes the novels: When alien forces invade with an army of Machines, the remnants of humanity must depend on Androids of their own design – the placid 2B and the excitable 9S – to survive.
The novels were both written by Jun Eishima who has some familiarity with writing for video games properties (and Yoko Taro games at that) thanks to his previous work on both the Drakengard and Emblem of Roto: To the Children who inherit the Emblem manga. Both NieR: Automata: Long Story and NieR: Automata: Short Story were published by Square Enix in Japan on August 5, 2017 and October 24, 2017 respectively.
The Japanese covers of the novels are below.
The novels are based on the video game, so should hold relatively true to some version of the game’s events. NieR: Automata is a game with several different endings (26 to be exact, one for each letter of the English alphabet). The game released on PlayStation 4 in Japan last February, with a Worldwide release in March. You can check out our review of the game here.
- VIZ Media Scores 3 Major Acquisitions During Anime Expo 2018
- Milestone’s Ride 3 has a New Release Date and New Trailer - September 21, 2018
- Diablo Could Be Getting an Animated Netflix Series - September 21, 2018
- Telltale Games: Major Layoffs and Possible Studio Shut Down - September 21, 2018
- Sony to Halt Production on the PS Vita in Japan Next Year - September 20, 2018
- Capcom Reveals Resident Evil 2 Remake Gameplay at TGS - September 20, 2018