Analysts are claiming that Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 5 is the most profitable entertainment property ever.
Grand Theft Auto 5 is unlike anything else out there. If you keep up with charts for video games, you will know, even four and half years since it’s launch, it still floats around the top of charts week in and week out. There just isn’t… well, any product of entertainment that sustains for that long. Perhaps that makes this latest news unsurprising.
According to analysts in a report via MarketWatch, Grand Theft Auto 5 is now the most profitable entertainment title ever, eclipsing any film, book or video game previously. They claim the game has now sold around 90 million copies and generated nearly $6 billion. Interestingly, the PlayStation 3 version of the game is the best selling, with around 32% of the sales, while PC, only accounts for around 2.1%. The game is a huge revenue improvement over other titles in the series, with the closest being Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas which sold around 27 million units. Add on top of that, the huge money potential that GTA Online brings, a market that allows players to continue to spend money in the game over time, it is not hard to see how it has exploded from a revenue point of view.
Seeing what happens with Grand Theft Auto 6 is going to be fascinating. GTA 5 seems like an untouchably popular title. Perhaps one of the biggest legs up 5 had was its multiplatform nature. It came right at the turn of the generation, allowing for the game to hop onto PlayStaion 3 and Xbox 360 as well as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. I have a feeling the next generation will come before we see Grand Theft Auto 6, so it might not be able to count on that double-dip audience. At the same time though, it will be Grand Theft Auto 6. I don’t expect it is going to flop.
- Someone Made a Current Thanos Mod for GTA Online
- Rockstar Removes Several Tracks from Grand Theft Auto IV via Licensing
- Grand Theft Auto Online: Contraband Week Kicks Off Today
- ‘Pokémon: Let’s Go’ Games Get a New Trailer Showing off Gyms, Traversal, and Pokémon Haircuts - July 13, 2018
- Remnant: From the Ashes is the New Co-Op Shooter From the Darksiders 3 Developer - July 13, 2018
- The Witcher Series Will Get Another Game, but It Won’t Be The Witcher 4 - July 12, 2018
- Doom Eternal Will See Its Gameplay Reveal Next Month - July 12, 2018
- Check Out Over 10 Minutes of Darksiders 3 Gameplay - July 12, 2018