With the number one film at the world box office based on his first book Ready Player One, author Ernie Cline is riding high right now. Also, he just celebrated his birthday on Sunday — happiest of natal days, buddy!
Perhaps you’ve heard the chatter about a RP1 sequel being in the works — this isn’t news, really, as Cline’s been talking about a another story in that future for several years. What IS new is the momentum surrounding his second book, Armada. (I got to spend an evening with Ernie back in 2015 at a signing when the book released; it was awesome.)
The big news today is that Dan Mazeau (Wrath of the Titans, World’s Most Wanted) is working on a first draft of a script of the film, which will be produced by Dylan Clark (Planet of the Apes) and Dan Farah (Ready Player One). Mazeau also worked on that Flash standalone film for WB back when it was still Flashpoint.
Published in 2015, Armada is another ode to the great and powerful retro video game love that manages to save the human race. If you didn’t like that part of Ready Player One, you’re really not going to like Armada.
Back in 2012, the film rights for Armada were scooped up by Universal Pictures, before the book was even released, giving Cline two properties at two of the biggest studios looking to be made into movies.
That’s not to say Ernie wasn’t familiar with his work being given the movie makeover previously, as Cline was the mind behind Fanboys, even though the results were less than optimal. Seriously, read this ‘oral history of’ piece by my friend Jourdan Hoffman, and you’ll understand. I still love the film, but I weep for what it could have been, because Cline knows how to speak to fellow ’80s enthusiasts with his work.
We’re pretty excited to see how this project turns out. Ready Player One is currently in theaters worldwide, and Armada is available through any bookseller.
- Watch: 3 Minutes of Ready Player One Copper Key Race [Video]
- Pat Neshek Makes Collectors Jealous, Pulls Shohei Ohtani Auto from Topps Heritage
- MLB Games That You Should Watch on Wednesday, April 4
- Thanos Demands You Add This Infinity War Hot Toys Release to Your Shelf
- Star Wars Y-Wing Fighter is the Newest UCS LEGO Ship, Hits Stores May 4
- Alien Queen Bursts Onto the Scene from Sideshow Collectibles
- [SPOILERS] Let's Talk About Ready Player One: Spielberg Goes Guns-to-Radios Again
- In the Book: Ready Player One Key Quests and Gates Were Way Harder
- [#WonderCon] That Time George Lucas Visited the Ready Player One Set
- Watch: 'Ready Player One' Author Ernie Cline Thanks Fans in New Video
- First Reactions for 'Ready Player One' Are in From #SXSW
- Ready Player One LIVE at #SXSW Powered by Twitch And IMDB
- Steven Spielberg and Ernie Cline Talk Ready Player One, Plus NEW FOOTAGE
- "Artemis": An Evening With Andy Weir At Kepler's Books
- Han Solo Didn’t Do the Kessel Run, Lando Calrissian Did - April 20, 2018
- ‘God of War’ Launch Day Event is About to go Live, Here’s How To Watch - April 19, 2018
- Nee Brothers May Be Directors for Masters of the Universe Film - April 19, 2018
- Netflix Almost Bought Landmark Theaters, Report Says - April 19, 2018
- ‘The Division’ Film Gains Deadpool 2 Director David Leitch - April 19, 2018