April Fools’ Day has always been a little strange in the world of video games. Often times, developers end up creating a bizarre idea and then running with it. This has seen some pretty amusing inclusions, like the Battle Royale mode of Path of Exile or Pokémon Go going retro, so as to not inundate you with information, we’re going to do a quick roundup of all the best pranks from this year.
League of Legends is getting three food-based skins, including one pizza skin and one for fried chicken. You can check those out in the trailer below.
Another game taking April Fools’ by the horns is the vehicular combat MMO War Thunder, which is breaking out a spinoff tactical submarine combat game called Silent Thunder. You can play the submarine combat sim through the War Thunder client up until 11:59 p.m. Hawaiian time (UTC -11).
Square Enix is getting in on the April Fools’ fun with an AR game for Final Fantasy XIV Online called Final Fantasy XIV Online GO, which allows players to go outside and harvest natural resources that can be used to craft in-game items and gear. The official game description reads:
“While utilizing the app, players will be notified about harvesting nodes and natural resources in their area via their smartphone’s geo-location capabilities. As they get close to the node, players tap their screen for a chance to harvest the resource exactly like they would in-game.”
No release date has been given for the app, but hey, it does have a snazzy trailer.
Darkflow Software and their squad-based multiplayer shooter Enlisted also got in on the April Fools’ action, asking players to participate in the testing of their “all-kitchen-warfare MMO shooter” Cuisine Royale. According to Darkflow:
“With a clear focus on satiating the tastes of the player community, the new title combines only the latest flavors of the gaming industry. Players will clash with each other in the trendy ‘Battle Royale’ deathmatch mode, primarily fighting with an arsenal of kitchen utensils not limited to the ever so popular frying pan. Access to new in-game equipment is regulated almost entirely through Loot Boxes, but in Cuisine Royale they are not only free with their content known in advance, but also come with a 100% guaranteed drop chance on the labelled content.”
And Nintendo decided to celebrate with the 25th anniversary of the best Kirby character ever, Waddledee.
- The Netherlands Declares Certain Loot Boxes Illegal
- Pokémon Sun and Moon Add Entei and Raikou as Free Legendaries
- Niantic Settles Pokémon GO Fest Lawsuit for $1.5 Million
- Why Post Malone Streaming Blackout Won’t Increase Call of Duty’s Popularity - October 19, 2018
- Marvel Battle Lines Will Not Include the Liefeld Captain America Cover - October 19, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV Gets Spooky with the All Saint’s Wake Event - October 18, 2018
- Here is Everything You Need to Know About Battletech: Flashpoint - October 18, 2018
- Dauntless Reveals its New Riftstalker Behemoth and Dark Harvest Event - October 18, 2018