CD Projekt Red has come out and said that Cyberpunk 2077 won’t have microtransactions that affect the single-player campaign. It did, however, stop short of saying the game won’t have them at all.
In recent years, when we think of microtransactions, we think of various loot boxes and cosmetics in multiplayer games. This wasn’t the case originally. With single player games like Oblivion‘s famous horse armour and Dead Space 3‘s weapon crafting resources, these things became normalised. That idea of bringing them into single-player experiences has certainly begun to creep back in though, especially with things like Shadow of the War‘s loot boxes.
Well, this won’t be the case for one of the most anticipated single-player experiences on the horizon. Speaking in during a CD Projekt Red financial event (via GameSpot) CEO Adam Kiciński said that we could expect the main campaign mode to be free of such payments. He said:
The first thing we’re going to discuss is the immense story-driven roleplay for a single-player without any micro-payments whatsoever, without any hidden things whatsoever, just as was the case for The Witcher 3.
Now, that doesn’t mean we can expect no microtransactions at all. During the event, when pushed about whether the expected but unclear multiplayer will have microtransactions, he gave an exceedingly vague:
We’re considering everything and anything.
The topic of microtransactions is a really hot one right now, so it’s good for the developer to try and get out ahead of this. It will undoubtedly please fans of The Witcher that you will be able to play through what you buy in Cyberpunk 2077, at least on the campaign side of things.
- The Netherlands Declares Certain Loot Boxes Illegal
- Overwatch’s Newest Patch and Hanzo Rework Now Live on the PTR - April 20, 2018
- Report Says a Battle Royale Mode is Being Tested for the Next Battlefield - April 19, 2018
- Map Selection Being Added to PUBG Very Soon - April 19, 2018
- Overwatch’s New Rialto Map is Currently Live on the PTR - April 19, 2018
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass Announced With Teaser Trailer - April 19, 2018