CD Projekt Red has come out and said that Cyberpunk 2077 won’t have microtransactions that affect the single-player campaign. It did, however, stop short of saying the game won’t have them at all.
In recent years, when we think of microtransactions, we think of various loot boxes and cosmetics in multiplayer games. This wasn’t the case originally. With single player games like Oblivion‘s famous horse armour and Dead Space 3‘s weapon crafting resources, these things became normalised. That idea of bringing them into single-player experiences has certainly begun to creep back in though, especially with things like Shadow of the War‘s loot boxes.
Well, this won’t be the case for one of the most anticipated single-player experiences on the horizon. Speaking in during a CD Projekt Red financial event (via GameSpot) CEO Adam Kiciński said that we could expect the main campaign mode to be free of such payments. He said:
The first thing we’re going to discuss is the immense story-driven roleplay for a single-player without any micro-payments whatsoever, without any hidden things whatsoever, just as was the case for The Witcher 3.
Now, that doesn’t mean we can expect no microtransactions at all. During the event, when pushed about whether the expected but unclear multiplayer will have microtransactions, he gave an exceedingly vague:
We’re considering everything and anything.
The topic of microtransactions is a really hot one right now, so it’s good for the developer to try and get out ahead of this. It will undoubtedly please fans of The Witcher that you will be able to play through what you buy in Cyberpunk 2077, at least on the campaign side of things.
- CD Projekt Red Explains the First-Person Gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077
- The Netherlands Declares Certain Loot Boxes Illegal
- Anthem Shows Off the Legion of Dawn in New Trailer - December 14, 2018
- DayZ is Now Out of Early Access and You Can Play it For Free This Weekend - December 14, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Final DLC Gets Release Date – Will Have Into the Spider Verse Suit - December 13, 2018
- Tony Hawk has a New Game for Mobile - December 13, 2018
- Kingdom Hearts Gets Opening Cinematic With New Skrillex Collaboration - December 10, 2018