Upcoming WWE Hall of Fame inductee Mark Henry previously hinted that he would be okay with Hulk Hogan returning to WWE if Hogan apologized to all Black wrestlers for the racist rant that got him fired from WWE in 2015 when it leaked to the public as part of the Gawker sex tape trial. However, in a new interview, Henry said that Hogan, who will be making his first appearance for the company since his firing this April, hasn’t done enough to earn a return.
“There are leaked videos of the Andre story on HBO coming up, on the 29th is the opening in Los Angeles, and he’s in it,” Henry said on SiriusXM’s Busted Open Radio, as transcribed by SBNation. “It’s kind of a deal where you have to accept it. He’s a public figure. It doesn’t mean that everything that he’s done is forgiven, you just gotta take the good with the bad and see how you could help the situation. I’m sitting on the chair of the delegation and they’re not ready. I’ve had many talks, with dozens of guys, and the consensus is there’s a lot of work to be done to heal that wound and to fix that wall.”
“The delegation is pretty much all of the more established African-American wrestlers in the country and in the world, for that matter,” Henry continued. “Every promotion… there’s not a wrestling promotion that doesn’t house someone from the delegation.”
Henry laid out exactly what Hogan will need to do if he’s to come back.
“There’s gonna have to be more community service and outside work,” Henry said. “Support for programs and even creative programs that deal with diversity in the workplace. … I don’t process everything like everybody else. I believe that everybody should be given a second chance but I also believe that you have to own your issue, whatever that issue is. You gotta try to make closure on everybody else’s behalf, not just yours.”
That sounds like more long-term planning than WWE is used to. Do you think WWE will be willing to go to all that trouble? Or will they just stick him in a segment or two with Booker T, who has previously advocated for forgiveness for the Hulkster, and hope it all blows over?
- Marvel Teaser for Champions 25 Asks: “Change the World?” as Amadeus Cho Gets Weird - July 23, 2018
- WWE Releases ‘Walk With Elias’ EP and It’s Everything You Hoped It Would Be - July 23, 2018
- Michael Rooker Quits Twitter, Chris Pratt Tweets the Bible, and Petition to Release the Gunn Cut of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Hits 175,000 Signatures - July 23, 2018
- The Hulk Just Learned #MarvelDeclassified Drops Tomorrow, and You Won’t Guess What it Makes Him Want to Do - July 22, 2018
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista on James Gunn: Whatcha Gonna Do When #Cybernazis Come for You? - July 22, 2018