As we’ve previously talked about, Nintendo will be shutting down the Wii Shop next year as they move forward with the more popular and, in some cases, easier to navigate eShop being used on the Nintendo Switch. The transition was expected as Nintendo will shed off their old consoles and focus primarily on the current ones. However, this weekend will be your last chance to use Channel Points, as the company will be turning that option off on March 26th, meaning you won’t be able to purchase games on the Wii Shop starting Monday.
The reason this is significant is that while the shop will remain open for you to continue downloading games you’ve already purchased in the past, as well as keeping both WiiWare and Virtual Console games available for a limited time, at some point they have to stop taking purchases to make the transition. In essence, Nintendo would like to stop focusing attention on Wii and Wii U sales so they can put those resources into the eShop. This of it as a fire sale before a company turns over a warehouse to another division to use for something else. So if you’ve been holding onto points or had a specific game in mind from either console to own before you have to find it at a game shop, this is the time to do it.
- Nintendo Applies For New Several Trademarks Including Wario Land
- Super Mario Odyssey Was Never Intended to Be on Wii U
- The Nintendo Switch's Library is Already Three Times as Large as the Wii U's
- The Nintendo Switch Has Already Outsold the Wii U
- Nintendo Switch Has Already Outsold the Wii U in Japan
- GoldenEye 007's Wii Servers Are Shutting Down in 2018
- Nintendo To Close Down The Wii Shop In 2019
- Realm Royale Has Taken a Major Dive in Players Since Launch - August 17, 2018
- PUBG Mobile Boasts 100 Million Downloads Since Launch - August 17, 2018
- Another Pokémon GO Datamine Finds Mention of a Fourth Generation - August 17, 2018
- A Hat in Time to Make a Special Announcement on a Livestream Next Week - August 17, 2018
- Square Enix and Coca-Cola Join Forces for a Shadow of the Tomb Raider Event - August 17, 2018