Today during GDC, indie publisher Asymmetric confirmed the news that their hilarious stick figure RPG West Of Loathing would be coming to the Nintendo Switch as the latest addition to the Nindies section, set for a Spring release. The PC title is currently up for the Independent Game Festival’s grand prize, and as part of having a fantastic week, the company decided to spring the news on everyone during the conference. At this point in time, there doesn’t appear like the Switch version will be any different from the PC version, and the game already has a listing on Nintendo’s eShop, but there’s no price attached to it yet. For those of you who haven’t played, here’s a description of the game from their press release below.
Inspired by the humor, whimsy, and storytelling of classic adventure/RPGs Quest for Glory and Paper Mario, West of Loathing is a single player role-playing game set in a slapstick stick figure rendition of the wild frontier. Leave your family farm and head west to find your fortune in this huge, humorous adventure brimming with branching storylines, tactical turn-based combat, and big hats.
But that’s not all! West of Loathing also features:
- A sprawling open world: Traverse snake-infested gulches, punch skeletons wearing cowboy hats, grapple with demon cows, and investigate a wide variety of disgusting spittoons — nearly 100 unique locations to explore!
- A goofy spin on good ol’ RPG gameplay: Charm your way out of trouble as a silver-tongued Snake Oiler, plumb the refried mysteries of the cosmos as a wise and subtle Beanslinger, or let your fists do the talking as a fierce Cow Puncher.
- A “colorful” cast of stick-figure characters: Interact with dozens of NPCs and hundreds of enemies — some of whom are good, many of whom are bad, and a few of whom are ugly.
- A gag around every corner: Wordplay and dad jokes abound — along with several gulches, at least one drunken horse, and liberal use of the Oxford comma.
- West of Loathing Receives a Launch Trailer for Nintendo Switch
- West of Loathing Is Coming to Nintendo Switch Next Week
- This Paper Town Ain't Big Enough: We Review 'West Of Loathing'
- 'Batman', 'Mega Man', & 'Night Trap' For Video Game Releases: August 8-14
- Stick Figure Comedy RPG 'West Of Loathing' Gets A Trailer