You have to really start to wonder what the odds are that Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD will be renewed for a sixth season. During the TCA Winter Press Tour ABC’s President Channing Dungey said she was cautiously optimistic that the show would come back. But anytime someone talks to a cast or crew member, the caveat everything with, “in case this is the final season.” Sounds like Dungey is more optimistic than the people working on the show.
The latest example of this comes from executive producer Jeff Bell when he was asked by EW.com that since the series isn’t doing ‘pods’ this season, what would he call the second half of the season:
Out of money! Space is expensive.
He then gave a serious answer that included the “last season” caveat:
We blew up the world — we didn’t, but somebody did — and we have to fix that. We don’t know whether this is the last season or not, so I think we need to tell stories that bring a lot of emotional resolution to our characters. We have to figure out how to not blow up the planet, but more importantly, we have to resolve the relationships that we’ve splintered over the course of the season, and stick the landing.
You have to wonder if it’s a good idea to wrap up everything nice and neat in case the network pulls the plug, or leave a huge cliffhanger so if the network thinks about cancelling, they know they’re going to get a lot of hate mail.
Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD airs Fridays at 9 p.m. on ABC.
- Andrea Mutti’s Process Art for Swashbucklers: The Saga Continues #1 - April 21, 2018
- Batgirl vs. Supergirl in the Latest DC Versus Video - April 21, 2018
- Falcon vs. The Karate Kid in Karate Piñata on Jimmy Fallon - April 21, 2018
- CBS Quietly Cancels Mark Feuerstein’s Comedy Series ‘9JKL’ - April 21, 2018
- Joseph Michael Linsner and Kristina Deak-Linsner Talk Vampirella: Roses for the Dead - April 21, 2018